Sunday, April 03, 2011

"RED"

R.E.D., "Retired Extremely Dangerous", new film. Helen Mirren in an action comedy? I could dig it.


Interview.
“It is always great to find someone that you can pin your character on. Obviously, in The Queen it was very easy to find the person to pin the character on—she’s called Queen Elizabeth. But here I was kind of looking for who this woman might be and then I had this flash of inspiration. Martha Stewart came into my mind. I thought, ‘That’s who it is, it’s Martha Stewart.’ And so from that point on I based everything on Martha Stewart: the hair was Martha Stewart’s hair, the color even and the cut; the clothes were Martha Stewart’s. I thought Martha Stewart combines this perfect combination of sweetness and kindness and gentleness and unbelievable efficiency with this laser-like ability to concentrate and get the job done.

Good fun. Gotta love a female 65-year-old action hero. Last year we had a 12-year-old one. How about a cross-over? Hit-Girl versus Helen Mirren? Kewl.

Quick tip: the IMDb app for iPad is the best one I've found for trailers. It's free, the interface is excellent, and it seems to have virtually all trailers there are to be found.

11 comments:

craniac said...

John Malkovitch was great in it too, but isn't he always?

Anonymous said...

I saw RED recently on a DVD. I think it was a good action comedy. J. Malkovitch's role surprised me, but I liked it much... Yeah, and Helen Mirren was stylish :)

Timo Lehtinen said...

It seems we can not get Jane Tennison back, and Summit Entertainment is not the worst among Hollywood film studios, so I reservedly approve this for non-prime time watching.

Once only, and try to find something useful to do while you watch. Scan a book or something.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you for that brave concession, Sir.

horatio alger said...

Pretentious douches always get caught out. Prime Suspect is a piece of crap. Tennison is the kind of character that appeals to mindless fools like TTL who fancy themselves intellectuals but are closer to Forrest Gump than Doogie Howser. I do enjoy watching him madly tapdance only to inevitably fall on his face.

TC [Girl] said...

Just read this. Thought you might enjoy. And, yes, do click on the linked word..."bikini." :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Not bad!

TC [Girl] said...

Yeah...I sure didn't think so; for that age! :-)

TC [Girl] said...

She looks WAY better than this adorable little darling! (ain't she a hoot?! :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

What's weird is that apparently more humans are killed by hippos every year than any other animal!

TC [Girl] said...

YIKES! I didn't know that! Huh...Helen shoulda had one in the 'Red' movie, then! lol! :-/