Monday, May 31, 2010

HTML mail

One thing can't be debated, if one likes HTML mail, Apple Mail is outstanding, whereas Eudora totally sucked.

I needed to test something, so I just grabbed some text from a web page, just dragged my cursor over it loosely. It seems I selected two panels in a table in a web forum. And when I pasted it into Mail, it looked exactly like the that part of the web page. The table panels, the formatting, the buttens, everything. And it was the same on the receiving end, at least if Mail is receiving it (I don't know about other apps). I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but I still think that's quite a performance.

Screenshot: my email message and the web page:

3 comments:

inshousi said...

"I just grabbed some text from a web page..."

Safari has two dedicated key shortcuts you may have overlooked in the [File] menu: [Command+I] for mail the web page (a facility grossly overused by PeeCee dipsticks) and [Command-Shift+I] for mail a link to the page.

Mail also has an underused [Link] command in the [Edit] menu that works in a manner similar to HTML (but the message must be in Rich Text format).

chessagu said...

"One thing can't be debated, if one likes HTML mail..."

Apple's policy on HTML email is as quirky as its policy on animated GIFs via email. Support is limited for both formats, and other than authoring an HTML page then uploading it to a server, then embedding it in a Mail message as described in this thread you should forget any authoring aspirations.

HTML email is as gross as tattoos, cranial bumps, and Prince Alberts, but I gotta earn a crust somehow, although I would never consider using the format except under duress.

Timo Lehtinen said...

HTML email is useful if you want to hack into other people's machines and generally spy on them. Also, as a virus distribution platform it is unparalleled.

I used to automatically bounce all HTML email. Nowadays I might read it; my MUA throws away the HTML bodypart and presents me with the text.

To email marketers this appears that I haven't read their message, because I am not downloading their webbugs.