Thursday, March 11, 2010

Portraits of Strangers

Portraits of Strangers, photos by Danny Santos II. (The photos scroll to the right.) It's clear he's a very good DOM.



Tommy said:
I wonder how the photographer manages to get such nice pictures while standing on the street. I mean, it's kind of tough to set the composition up ahead of time.

I think the two most important things when photographing people are the light, and the background. When you get serious about photographing, you train yourself to look for useful backgrounds, and to check each picture for the background before shooting (time permitting, of course).

Also, a very blurred background helps enormously. It's almost harder to make it look bad. Which is why I always recommend people-photographers to get lenses which can do this.

5 comments:

Timo Lehtinen said...

These are some of the most colorful portraits I've ever seened.

Tommy said...

TTL, I agree. I wonder how the photographer manages to get such nice pictures while standing on the street. I mean, it's kind of tough to set the composition up ahead of time.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I think the two most important things when photographing people are the light, and the background. When you get serious about photographing, you train yourself to look for useful backgrounds, and to check each picture for the background before shooting (unless it's real snapshots of course).

TC [Girl] said...

ttl said...
"These are some of the most colorful portraits I've ever seened."

Yes. I was thinking same, when I was looking at them!

Your new pic, BTW, is a "most colorful" portrait, too, ttl! ;-)

TC [Girl] said...

Eo...didn't know where to post this, after trying to search for "photoshop/ping;" "people portraits;" and "portraits" (can't think if I tried any others) so...will just post here. Thought it was pretty interesting (fascinating, in fact! So much so that I'm going to try this w/the kids!); wonder if you would, as well: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-ultimate-family-therapy-photographer-turns-two-relatives-into-one-person-2529081/#photoViewer=1