Saturday, January 09, 2010

Watching hot specimens

I just watched a brief scene in the very enjoyable Chuck series, in which the attractive female action-figure lead walks down a hotel corridor, and as she passes a nice-looking male staffer, she turns her head and admires him for a second. This made me like her even better.

Openly getting enjoyment from seeing beautiful members of one's preferred gender is often seen as suspicious or sleazy behavior. But I think that it's just a sign of being alive, like enjoying good food or the changing weather and other beautiful things and interesting sensations/perceptions.

I don't know, perhaps the act of looking openly is associated with being promiscuous? But I really think they are very different things. I'm sure there are people who don't enjoy looking very much, but are very promiscuous, and I know many people who enjoy looking very much, and who are highly responsible sexually. Of course most of them don't show it very much when they look, which tells us how widespread the social judgment is.

6 comments:

dave nielsen said...

It partly has to do with who is doing the looking. Women don't want to be admired by certain guys. If she is caught doing the looking though, I think it sadly is seen as indicating promiscuity.

David Brys said...

I'm a great fan of beauty and the older I get, the more I find beautiful. It is strange and a shame that some people consider looking the same as touching or violating. I, for one, wouldn't want to be watched by someone who has this opinion myself! But that's just how different people can be. When I find out - even in the slightest way - that someone does not like to be admired (by me), than I just stop looking. There's no fun in it for me when I experience aversion. Fortunately, that's a rare situation.

Bud said...

Looking is a very natural and we can't stop anyone whom we don't want to look at us. Weather clothed or not, human nature is to use the senses God gave us, (hearing, smelling, tasting, looking and touching). The only one of these we as responsible humans need to becareful of is touching. This one we must make sure it is a welcome touch. To stare at someone is impolite and can be offensive.

Greg said...

Looking and appreciating the beauty our creator bestowed on us is our God given right. It is our duty to look at and appreciate the wonder of woman in a respectful manner regardless of clothed or nude or in between. Same goes for man if you are so inclined. A few months ago while walking through a mall I was stopped in my tracks by a lovely young lady and her equally lovely daughter of about 8 yrs old. My manners escaped me and I was quite honestly staring. Of course she saw me and I was suitably embarrased. I went over and apoligized for staring and explained that the two of them made a beautiful picture and I was mesmerized by the sight. I hoped she would forgive me and she did. As I turned to go she said thank you. I asked for what. She said me explaining what happened and the compliment I paid her made her day happier. I left saying they had greatly improved my day also.

Anonymous said...

Americans, they typically can't handle being appreciatively looked at. Our women are totally psycho and schizophrenic that way. But foreigners (I'm in the USA), that's a different story. Nearly every time I've looked admiringly at a foreigner and treated her as a beautiful woman, she gets a broad (sometimes a little shy, but still broad) smile.

Just watch the show "Sex and the City" to get an idea of just how schizophrenic American women are this way. They're not only like that with regard to sex (totally duplicitous), but also with regard to simply their own potential beauty.

Oh, how much we as a culture still have to learn from foreigners!

--TP

TC [Girl] said...

Just ran into and read this. Talks about staring. Thought the way it was written was...to the point, funny, and...cute. :-D