Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Amber dome"

Back when I first wrote about the LightSphere, which I used for John's portraits, it was requested that I post samples taken with the "Amber Dome" when I got it.
OK, done.
I used it for all the John pictures, actually. But in the smallest room, and against a window, as seen below, it was too warm in tone, so I tried the standard Dome, see below also. The amber one seems very warm indeed in these samples, but like I said, it was used for all of them, so it's clearly a question of what other light is also in the picture. If the flash (direct and bounced) is almost the sole source of light, the camera's white balance will probably balance it automatically. And it will fit if the ambient light is warm indoor light. But it will clash against daylight.




(By the way, the normal dome and LightSphere are slightly warmer than the naked flash, a good thing.)

1 comment:

Joe Zasada said...

I find the amber dome on top of the white or clear lightsphere isn't so good because of the different colour casts you get. It works better to stick an amber gel over your flash which will change the colour of the lightsphere and a white or chrome dome all together...