Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Facebook cleaners

Wow, Facebook employs a hundred and fifty people to keep the site clean! That's a lot of people, hours, and work to avoid offending squeamishness.

I'm reminded: when Bart Simpson was skateboarding in the buff, the cop yelled: "Stop! In the name of American squeamishness!"
Of course, the US is far from the only country with its share of squeamish people. For example, in Brazil, home of the micro-bikini, bathing nude is a serious crime. And OK, even in Denmark it's strictly speaking illegal to be naked in public, although the chances of being arrested are smaller than most places.

By the way, I was charged recently with promoting a "nudists' paradise" which not everybody wants. Sure, there are many people I don't want to see nude either. But the pretty ones I don't mind. And listen, as an analogy I find smelly people offensive, but there's no law against poor hygene and there shouldn't be. I think nudity is on the same level. Where most people will find it offensive, it will regulate itself, no reason to call the dang coppers.

---
On a different note, I'm a bit surprised at how, this late in the game, FaceBook (or "FriendFace" as The IT Crowd calls it) actually seems to be about to become the global default social networking site. People are starting to talk about it like it's something one is bound to be using, like having a phone or an email address. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It is a private company after all, and you have no recourse if they don't like what you do or vice versa.

Pete said:
It's a rare day when I come close to defending Facebook, but you should keep in mind that there's a lot to manage besides policies on nudity. I believe it's the responsibility of a provider of an innovative platform to provide some mechanisms that prevent it from being used as a platform to attack individuals, or to foster criminal or antisocial behavior. Just look at encyclopediadramatica.com for an example of where this can go when unchecked. (I haven't in some time, and prefer not to. I remember elaborate pages written to attack, demean, and discredit individuals who aren't particularly public figures -- photoshopped pictures depicting them having sex with animals, things like that.)

I'm not going to defent where Facebook draws the line, but it's probably worth keeping in mind that many nude photos of people under 18 are illegal to possess in the USA, and without having an automated mechanism to determine which are ok and which aren't, it seems sensible to me that Facebook would employ a lot of people to keep an eye on things.

By the way, I flippin' hate Facebook. I use it, but I hate nearly everything about it -- mostly, their anti-end-user licensing policies.


---
Beware facebook phishing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a different note, I'm a bit surprised at how, this late in the game, FaceBook (or "FriendFace" as The IT Crowd calls it) actually seems to be about to become the global default social networking site. People are starting to talk about it like it's something one is bound to be using, like having a phone or an email address. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It is a private company after all, and you have no recourse if they don't like what you do or vice versa.

I've a feeling people will eventually get bored with it like they did MySpace and everything else.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"I find smelly people offensive, but there's no law against poor hygene and there shouldn't be."
There needs be a law against smelly people imposing their stench on you. No more, no less.
Merely being disgusting is their private problem, as long as they don't affect unconsenting others. It's a bit like nudity, and also a bit like smoking.
A bit like a great many individual liberties, when you think of it...

As for Facebook, I've recently joined, and am getting back in touch with many long-unseen friends. I'd say that's positive.
I don't really want it for anything more.
Too busy blogging, anyway. :-)

Ray said...

"Sure, there are many people I don't want to see nude either."

At my age, I'm one of the people I don't want to see nude, but to keep people like Pascal from crying tears the size of footballs, I have to get
into the shower regularly. :)

Now, what's all this about "promoting a nudist paradise"?
Given that the summer's insect season is almost upon us, is there even such a thing as a nudist paradise? We've got a nudist beach out by the university here, but aside from the hype they spread, there's very few of them we'd actually want to photograph or gawk at for very long. The so-called 'beautiful people' seem to have better things to do. That's why they insist on being paid to 'let it all hang out' for
the rest of us to see and admire.

Pascal's granddaughter said...

"My, Grandpa, what big eyes you have!"

Pete Forsyth said...

It's a rare day when I come close to defending Facebook, but you should keep in mind that there's a lot to manage besides policies on nudity. I believe it's the responsibility of a provider of an innovative platform to provide some mechanisms that prevent it from being used as a platform to attack individuals, or to foster criminal or antisocial behavior. Just look at encyclopediadramatica.com for an example of where this can go when unchecked. (I haven't in some time, and prefer not to. I remember elaborate pages written to attack, demean, and discredit individuals who aren't particularly public figures -- photoshopped pictures depicting them having sex with animals, things like that.)

I'm not going to defent where Facebook draws the line, but it's probably worth keeping in mind that many nude photos of people under 18 are illegal to possess in the USA, and without having an automated mechanism to determine which are ok and which aren't, it seems sensible to me that Facebook would employ a lot of people to keep an eye on things.

By the way, I flippin' hate Facebook. I use it, but I hate nearly everything about it -- mostly, their anti-end-user licensing policies.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I flippin' hate Facebook.

Really? I hate Facebook too, but I also hate people who use the word flippin'.

Anonymous #3 said...

Well, for my part, I have this pet peeve about anonymi... anonymouses... anonymice... whatever! who don't even bother to signal they're eventually different from the other nameless ones by using a signature, alias, nickname, or at the very least a number!

I guess we all have our big red buttons for styuupeed big sisters to push.

Just last month, I had to rebuild my seecret labohratory three times. Do yoou have any idea how complicated this is to accomplish without one's parents noticing?
No, I suppose you don't.
Don't fret, we can't ALL be boy geniuses.

-Dexter-

Anonymous said...

Just last month, I had to rebuild my seecret labohratory three times.

Oh, you're that Dexter. I thought at first maybe you were the serial killer one. Then you could bitch about what a drag it is dismembering and disposing of corpses.

hanum said...

I couldn't open my facebook inbox and I was given a warning message from FB team. What's going on? Do you know? :(
Thank's

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Not a clue. Surely they left a way to ask them?