Monday, February 02, 2009

Assembly lines

Ford introduced the assembly line, which apparently cut production cost drastically.

Interestingly, though, I heard that years ago, the Hasselblad camera factory in Sweden experimented, and they found that by having workers compile a bigger part of a camera instead of repeating the same tiny action again and again, things were more efficient and people made fewer mistakes.



(Isn't it amazing to see that fragile-looking car handling terrain like a hummer?)

I love the model T. For me it has (along with other cars of that time) a presence which modern cars just don't have. I don't know why. (I can say the same about airplanes.)

I once sandblasted the body of a Ford Model A. Try doing that to a modern car, and you'll have the plates curled up like wet cardboard.

Jay Leno is a car buff. Here he talks about how good the model T is to use even today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean "FORD" not "FOR." Nice post at any rate!

Bert said...

Interestingly, though, I heard that years ago, the Hasselblad camera factory in Sweden experimented, and they found that by having workers compile a bigger part of a camera instead of repeating the same tiny action again and again, things were more efficient and people made fewer mistakes.

Makes sense for a camera, where you can have many parts at hand in quantity at any time.

The real challenge of car assembly lines is moving the right parts to the right stations at the right time.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, yes.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Volvo or Saab do a similar experiment, getting a team of about half a dozen people to do more-or-less the complete assembly on a single car at a time? Also with improved productivity and quality as I recall.

Unknown said...

The Model T handled bad roads, or NO roads, so well partially because it was so light. Today's "Sport" Utility Vehicle is so grotesquely overweight, it struggles just to haul it's own bulk (the opposite of true sport cars).

Timo Lehtinen said...

Model T now on my to buy list.

captcha: thlow

As in "do I need to thlow money at it"?