Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kite aerial photography

Bert found this cool video, budget aerial photography.
(HD version here. Well, not real HD like Apple streams, but a little bigger at least.)



Economical, but not exactly simple. I would like to do this, but I don't have the skills or patience to build the parts, so I hope somebody will make a commercial kit for it.

He has a site for it.

An early kite-camera from a hundred years ago weighed a hundred pounds! (I wonder how they got a sharp picture with the exposure times of those days.)

Isn't it typical English that "aerial" does not start with "air"? Just "speech" is not spelled "speach" despite the common root with "speak".

7 comments:

Alex said...

I was a bit annoyed when my son got marked wrong when he used the word aeroplane. It is a valid English word, just not the common usage version.

Remember that Christmas episode of "Vicar of Dibley" where they are discussing how Irish names are spelt. (And despite what Bloggers spell checker thinks, spelt is spelt correctly).

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

How about "ating"? Eating in the past? (That was my word check...)

A while ago, Hezbollah mounted a camera on a kite, set it on auto, and flew it high over Israel's airspace. Called it "the islamic drone".
It seems the Zionist Enemy was quite annoyed at that clever bit of artisanal high-tech military spying.

My, we Lebanese have really invented everything, haven't we?
We even invented modest bragging.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm confused that the English pronounce "ate" like "et".

Timo Lehtinen said...

My, we Lebanese have really invented everything, haven't we?

You sure have. You even invented the Best Card Trick in the World (YouTube).

Jeff R. said...

OK.
I've got to butt in here. You've really pushed one of buttons this time - in a good way, I mean.

Here
is link to my gallery of Kite Aerial Photography. It's ten years old, so go easy on the web design. All shots are pre-digital, BTW.


Cheers from Sydney...
Jeff R.

Anonymous said...

There is a site that sells everything you need for kite aerial photography without having to build parts. http://www.brooxes.com/newsite/HOME.html

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.