Sunday, July 06, 2008

Two men and a spook

Just had a little spook: two men rang my doorbell, one of them I couldn't see under the front awning. The other said very friendly-like if I could let them in because they wanted to surprise my upstairs neighbor. I let them in, and I went to see them as they went up the stairs so they at least knew I'd gotten a look at them.

I noticed then that the one who had spoken was dressed in a slick grey suit and had an expensive watch, around here signifying a specific sort of person. And my neighbor, a very nice and helpful guy, is also the subject of persistent rumors of connections to the grey areas of society.

Well, I could now see the second man, and he was nigh two meters tall and almost as wide, just muscle, and had a shaved head and a broken nose... He attempted to give me a smile and a friendly nod, but these didn't look like expressions he was used to.

I thought "Oh dear, what have I done".

My worries were not eased by heavy footsteps from above and noises like an argument. I was thinking I should go up and knock on his door with some excuse to check on the situation.

But then a couple minutes later I could hear the usual carefree laugh from my neighbor, so I'm guessing it's all right after all.

Update: this particular neighbor is the only one who several times has had somebody come around, with him away or not, and ask me to let them in. So just now I went up to him and asked for a general policy on this. He told me to generally not do so (though it's been OK those times I've done so, fortunately). Which is nice, because now I can say to people that it's his request that I don't do it, so I'm not the one being the a-hole.

Anonymous said...
Sounds like a great neighborhood. I'd get a gun. Or else at least hit the gym. Aren't you nigh on 2 metres yourself?

Yep, I'm pretty big, but not so fit as this guy looked.

This was an exception, it's not a bad neighborhood. More like average, I guess.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you need to get a mansion for yourself. Those policies concerning neighbors' friends sound complicated. Not to mention that it interrupts the TV watching :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It's awright, I was just watching Buffy (season seven now), and it was between kung-fu fights.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great neighborhood. I'd get a gun. Or else at least hit the gym. Aren't you nigh on 2 metres yourself?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yep, pretty big, but not so fit as this guy looked.

This was an exception, it's not a bad neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

You need to try this:

http://www.crossfit.com/