Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Engst on angst and Pogue




My good friend Adam Engst comments on the copyright angst speculations by my other good friend* David Pogue, which speculations I've addressed myself earlier, albeit in a confused manner. Adam is much less confused than I, and I'm pleased to read his detailed outline which supports the stance that I've long promoted myself, but have lacked statistical support for: that an open and trusting and personal attitude to distributing electronic content actually lessens piracy, not the opposite. Very heartening.

As a small note, I think that Adam's conclusion that he's diametrically opposite David's viewpoint in this matter may be imprecise: I don't think David took a very strong viewpoint, only a rather tentative one.

* This may be presumptuous, but I count both Adam and David as friends based on the fact that I've been in regular email contact with both, personally and professionally, for more than a decade, and that I love and respect them both highly. They are both mensch amongst mensch, as well as prominent pillars in the tech world.

Gandalfe sed:
Eolake, you name dropper you. ;o)

Don't say that so my good friend the crown prince of Denmark hears it, he hates when people call me that.

Update: Adam points out to me that his picture is outdated, and supplied this one. He runs marathons. Unfair. Even at sixteen, I couldn't have run a marathon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eolake, you name dropper you. ;o)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Don't say that so my good friend the crown prince of Denmark hears it, he hates when people call me that.

Anonymous said...

Do you actually know the crown prince of Denmark? 'Cause he's never mentioned you to me...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, he *has* implied that he does not tell you everything.

Actually I prefer the company of Prince Joachim. Frederik is a nice enough guy, but he is the elite-soldier guy. Joachim is a bit more interested in things of the mind. And he realized much earlier than his brother than there's more to women than perfect model looks.

OK, I fold: I don't know them personally. But one of the great things about Denmark is that the princes can frequent cafes without a host of body guards.