Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ultra HD


The first "Ultra HD" TV. Gizmodo writes:
"The company has rolled out an 82in monster with an ultra definition (UD) resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels with a 120Hz refresh rate. That’s double the pixel count of Full HD, which stands at 1920 x 1080 pixels."

I think somebody needs their math skills polished. It's four times the pixel count.

I don't think we need these displays for a while, but maybe there'll be a trickle-down effect for quality and price.

Oh, and my father had a standard line when seeing a picture like the above: "does it come with the girl?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think somebody needs their math skills polished. It's four times as much.

I don't understand. 1080 x 2 = 2160, 1920 x 2 = 3840. It's double, not four times.

This kind of TV makes me think we're getting close to what Ray Bradbury talked about.

-Brian H.

Bert said...

Twice the resolution, four times the pixel count...

This is going to be really popular in conference rooms. With traveling becoming more and more of a hassle, video-conferencing is all the more popular nowadays.

Alex said...

I was going to send you a link to EETimes, they had an article about a 40" Samsung LCD which is 3/4" thick.

They also had a very cute model. Can't find an electronic version though.

I agree with Brian, "What do you think Mrs Montag?".

Steve said...

There was a television in that picture? :D

Anonymous said...

Wooohoo, I like that.

Anonymous said...

With regard to the pixels, it's double. Imaging technology uses logical math. There's a difference between SIZE and RESOLUTION.

Alex said...

I'd say pixel count is pixel count. If you make the image twice as many pixels wide, then make it twice as many pixels wide you are at 4X pixel count.

The original quote claims double the pixel count.

As for resolution, if you have 1920x1080 on a 40" screen, and 3840x2160 on an 80" screen, then are you not at the same DPI? Does this mean the same resolution?

I love this game.

Anonymous said...

On the subject of girls and HD screens (NSFW): http://magamba.com/index.asp?i=7733