Saturday, April 12, 2008

Coated glass

For decades I've been wondering why they have not been using the same anti-reflection treatment they use on camera lenses and eye-glasses, on the glass used in picture frames. Reflections in glass really kill the contrast of the art. And the old style "anti-reflection" treatment is just sanding of the glass and does nothing except make the reflections blurred.

Well, it's finally here. I was by my friendly neighborhood frame maker today, and he showed me this. It is much more expensive than regular glass, but for many applications I will consider it more than worthwhile. The difference is dramatic. There are still reflections, but they are much reduced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I framed a map a couple years ago, and they showed me what I assume was the same thing. It was hugely expensive, but it was amazing to see.