Monday, August 20, 2007

Canon 40D

I've been saying that Canon has been behind Nikon technically for a year or two. In the mid- and low-range market, that is. The Nikon D200 and D80 and D40 are very strong. But I gotta say that Canon's upgrade with the 40D is very powerful. It's very fast, more rugged, and it has the same sensor technology which makes the 1D such amazingly low noise in low-light situations.
I would say that it is basically a professional camera, only at "prosumer" prices. Well done to Canon. If one does not demand a full-frame sensor, this camera is a great option.

If I were Canon, though, I would apply more imagination to design and to naming. All these cameras look the same, and sound the same too, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, D30, D60, D40... blah blah blah.

Notice how much attention Apple got for the new iMacs a couple weeks ago, and they were really only evolutionary upgrades. But because their design is fresh and beautiful, everybody notices and wants them.

Actually Canon's super-compact line (called Ixus in Europe) is really nice looking. They should use those designers for the DSLR line too.

3 comments:

Cliff Prince said...

I'm looking for the ultra-small 7 (or so) megapixel with a nice long battery life and 300 pictures worth of memory on a card, that is Bluetooth friendly.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I had a Nikon P3, with built-in wifi. I was not impressed with the lens, though, so I sold it.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I don't know if any camera has bluetooth.

Try asking on a forum, like DPReview.com's.