Thursday, May 31, 2007

Jeff Birchill Sculpture

Sculptures by my pal Jeff "ye olde stone guy" Birchill.
Here's his FB page.

Jeff is very close to animals. He tells:
"As a small child, once I thought I was left in the woods, and I walked for hours. With me was a parade of animals, deer, bear, raccoon, and lots of squirrels. Throughout the wind in the trees was the constant symphony of birds singing telling me I was not alone.
One time I was alone in a small row boat when a freak storm came up, and a harbor seal came up beside the boat until I safely reached a dock.
There also was a time when a bear walked between me and a campfire with my dog lying right beside me. And then I stepped into a forest meadow and found myself standing between a mother bear and her two cubs. I made like a dandelion seed and traced my steps backwards. Both of those could have been disastrous. I've petted wild deer and if I can not get a wild bird to eat of my hand I consider myself a failure."








4 comments:

Alex said...

That reminds me, how did the Fimo/Sculpey experiments go?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ooops, that is deep-sixed.
Thanks for remembering.

Unknown said...

One guy who definitely understands what the sides of womens' breasts look like and captured it in a sculpture. Don't ask me why, but I think that side shot, second to the bottom, is absolutely amazing.

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with Hannah, this is nothing like classic manga exaggeration. On the front shot, those perfectly round breasts seemed as if they were spherical, typically unrealistic. But the side shot showed me such is not the case at all, on the contrary. They're just a perfect "sun" type shape, which is realistic in spirit (while in harmony with the whole style), and therefore I find it pretty.

This whole batch is impressive sculpture. "Oyk! Oyk! Clap, clap!"