Thursday, November 02, 2006

Appreciation

Here's a good one though:
Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary. -- Margaret Cousins

Indeed. The world could use a lot more of that. And I am trying to educate myself to visibly and audibly express appreciation whenever there's a chance. From the smallest things like saying a sincere "thank you" to a waiter, to giving a loved one a gift.

I was a very quiet child and my little sister was very loud, so she naturally attracted more attention. Not that I did not get appreciation or acknowledgment, for I did, but I still remember a couple of small incidents, like me arriving for an event at school, and a teacher saying "Ah, there you are, just the person I need!" Or the gym teacher once referring to the team I was in as "Eolake's team". Just goes to show you how much such small acknowledgements can mean.
I think the right acknowledgement from the right person can change a person's life. The memory of it can for example become a crucial bolster in a difficult time later in life.

9 comments:

Monsieur Beep! said...

Just a few acknowledging and appreciating words can make both your and the other person's day so much friendlier.
I also try to say "Thank you" to a waiter or the person at the till etc.
And it always makes such a difference! It makes me happy to see the brief glow in the other person's eyes.
Such moments stay in your memory for ever.

Anonymous said...

It always feels nice to be nice. Even in words. They can change someone's whole destiny.

I owe thanks to Dale Carnegie for helping me realize this sooner than I would have on my own.
(Yes, believe it or not, I've been a yound fool once, like everybody else.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Eolake for providing the first blog I check each evening.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

My pleasure, thanks yourself.

Anonymous said...

Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary. -- Margaret Cousins
Most people don't appreciate anything. Manners are lacking as well. It's all about money and materialism. They don't care. That was so yesterday.

laurie said...

I liked this post, thanks Eolake. I read it to my friend Jeff. Some I like to read out loud.
Laurie

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you, dear.

Anonymous said...

eolake,
i want to say that i appreciate domai and i appreciate you letting me post my comments on your blog. i really enjoy posting and reading what everybody thinks and says.
your blog is on my favorites list and i read as much as i can. you come up with very interesting subjects. thank you again eolake.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, but then I fail to boot them! :)

Thanks guys. I am always amazed at the level of commentary on the blog.