Thursday, September 28, 2006

Another Kate


Item the first: I was not aware of Kate Beckinsale, until Karen in Will And Grace said "it's acting, how hard can it be? Kate Beckinsale can do it!"
I wonder why the writers of some comedies can be so nasty sometimes to people who really don't deserve it. (Like the writers of Family Guy acidly attacking Friends and Dharma And Greg, both wonderful shows.)

Item the second: I have not seen her in Pearl Habor, and really don't intend to. For the same reason I don't intend to see Metallica, sorry, Titanic: how can it possibly be good?

Item the third: I do intend to see her in Underworld. Despite mixed reviews, at least it is supernatural and eye candy.

Item the fourth: I just rewatched her in Shooting Fish. I saw it neigh a decade ago, and remembered it partly for the desperately cute and charming female lead.
The film is a lot of fun too. Though it again left me wondering how it is that we are so willing to take thieves and con men as heroes, so long as they only steal from "people who can afford it", to quote the producer.

Item the fifth: I am always wondering what is the percentage of people who notice and get less obvious references like the title of that moving referring to the expression "shooting fish in a barrel", meaning really easy prey. I have a feeling not many.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, early Metallica is one of the best bands ever, and this coming from a guy that listens to A LOT of music. Their stuff from the 80s is mindblowing, and Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal records ever made. Just cause something's loud and confrontational doesn't mean it's bad.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You'll notice I meant Titanic, it was a joke. Sort of, not too funny.

Metallica is not hard enough for me, I like ministry better.
http://eolake.blogspot.com/2006/08/ministry-kings-of-industrial-rock.html

Anonymous said...

Lol, I gotta admit, I never would've pegged you for a Ministry guy. Just from what I know about you, I would've thought you'd be more into, I dunno, Pink Floyd or John Lennon or something.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You'll notice I meant Titanic, it was a joke. Sort of, not too funny.

Metallica is not hard enough for me, I like Ministry better.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nope.
Ecclectic taste thoug:

Ministry
David Bowie
Some Iggy Pop
Aqua
All Saints
Some Moby
Cibo Matto

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Iggy's the coolest. Raw Power is the best record ever.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Dude, do you keep reloading this page?
:)

Ya, Raw Power is seminal in rock history. More energy in that one than in ten "metal" bands put together.

Anonymous said...

The title "Shooting Fish" couldn't make me think of anything ELSE. But my mind is like a monorail on the pun track, so...

Also on item the fourth: it's still less bad to steal from those "who can afford it" than from the poor. Like many of those "who can afford it" did to get rich. Especially if you look at the whole planet.
The reflex of hating the rich (and eventually wanting to see them get robbed) comes from the generalizing of the "filthy rich" image... created by those who became rich by being filthy! Everybody who's ever plundered the assets of a whole country knows exactly what I mean. So, for my own tranquillity -and safety-, I'll consider there's no need to give names!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Indeed I do. Two of my favorite songs are "Burning Inside" by Ministry and "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. I don't see any conflict there. Really.

Anonymous said...

Ah. I KNEW I had it wrong!

Somehow, such a lively song saying "I'm a boring girl" just didn't seem right. ;-)

Besides, I'm always game for a fun-poking, tongue-in-cheek song. There's more to life than Blues.

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, back on the subject of Kate Beckinsale, if you want something that is supernatural eye-candy, have a look at Van Helsing. Great fun all round and the action never lets up for a moment. You can tell the director knew his audience when you see the first shot of Kate :). Not only that, but you have the Brides of Dracula to admire, and the sight of a serious actor like Sam West yelling "IT'S ALIVE!!!"

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I saw Van Helsing last year, it was quite OK.

I seriously think Barbie Girl is a briliant song.
I once walked past a kindergarten and saw all the todlers rocking out to Barbie Girl. I thought "well here is something with real universal appeal". Gotta love that.

Anonymous said...

I once walked past a kindergarten and saw all the todlers rocking out to Barbie Girl. I thought "well here is something with real universal appeal". Gotta love that.
Yup. I do. Anything that brings joy to little children, however silly-looking, has proved its usefulness. By bringing happiness into the world.
My 2½ year old nephew comes nearly every day asking that I play him the Dora the Explorer videogame. Again and again and again... That simplistic (albeit cute) game is boring to death, especially after the 25th go. But a child's laughter is always a priceless joy. I just have to remember the real fun is not on the TV screen (at least for me). "I love you, you love me, la la la..."