Saturday, September 23, 2006

An achievement


No, really... for ten years I've been driven batty by the fact that I could have a fast computer or a quiet computer, but not both in one. In periods I used two computers because of this (a mess for file management).

Then for a while I solved it partially by putting the box in a closet with sound proofing on the inside. But it really only solved it halfway. The G5, for all its fancy multi-step cooling management, still sounded like a dang hoover when it had worked for a little while.

But now Apple has made me a happy camper by somehow building the Mac Pro so the fans apparently hardly ever have to run. I have not heard them go on yet.

It is such a huge pleasure to sit working on one of the fastest personal computers in the world, yet only hearing a little ticking from the hard drive, and the wind in the willows outside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had my MacBook for about two months now. It was my first foray into the world of Mac, and I have to say I couldn't be happier. I use it for my writing and wanted something small, light, and without all the "fuss" required of Windows. This has to be the best laptop I ever had, and yeah I'm sure there are fans in it, but I almost always never know they are even on. I looked at the Pro and decided while it would be fun it was more than what I needed. Glad it's treating you well.

Anonymous said...

Windows is all "fuss"? What a relief! I thought it was just ME being thick.