Thursday, July 06, 2006

Brilliance

I have a friend who considers himself brilliant. The problem is that you can't dismiss it as charming buffoonery, since he actually is brilliant. So that makes it immodesty, which of course we can't permit.

Update: Yes, this was a joke. Satire or something.
Me, I am not a modest person. I think I'm friggin brilliant.
But here is the rub: I think you are friggin brilliant too. And I think you should *think* you are friggin brilliant. And allow yourself to say so!

The world molds to our thoughts. Especially our own abilities, obviously. So if we give in to pressure to think less of ourselves, we become less. If we think more of ourselves, we become more.

Some people feel that if somebody appear to be impressed by himself and talk a lot about his own work, that makes *them* feel smaller... !
I think if this is the case, then they better work on their own self-confidence instead of trying to stiffle that of the other person.

Second update: Following a good comment by Lucid, I want to add:
Ego is an ugly thing, causing us much pain in so many ways. But I have a strong feeling that suppressing the ego is what creates the ego.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's not immodest...he's wonderfully truthful!

Anonymous said...

I think we've got too many people who could be brilliant if they only believed in themselves.
Isn't that similar to believing or not believing you're an artist?

Granted, people who think they are great can be pretty annoying, regardless if they really are great or not.

So I think it's also a matter of how they sell it - it's one thing to know/find you are brilliant and another how you go about it - you could just be very self-confident or you could go and tell everyone how brilliant you are (which, in my mind, makes you less brilliant because it's just not a brilliant thing to do).

(Ain't I brilliant?) <;->

Anonymous said...

Do you know he considers himself brilliant, or do you just assume so?
Maybe he would say "Whatmebrilliant?" if called upon it?

Just a thought - I certainly know enough people who don't know about their bleedingly obvious qualities...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Leviathud:
Exactly!

I have updated the post beyond first paragraph now.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Second update: Following a good comment by Lucid, I want to add:
Ego is an ugly thing, causing us much pain in so many ways. But I have a strong feeling that suppressing the ego is what creates the ego.

Anonymous said...

Recognizing your brilliance is normal. And a duty to yourself. Even if nothing forces you to brag about it. ;-)

Now, considering yourself to be THE best, "number One", THAT would be pretentiousness. Those who are truly the best always know that such a status is always relative and temporary.

I once introduced myself to my classmates, in a new university, as being the most modest person in the world : "Why, my modesty is proverbial everywhere!" Can you believe some people actually took me seriously, and exclaimed I was incredibly full of myself? Which told me they weren't very bright and wouldn't make good friends. :-P
While one of those who really appreciated the joke became my best friend, and still is.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, good joke. (I think I've used something similar.)

Also: "if I was modest, I would be perfect."

Anonymous said...

So, since you're not modest TOO, my accomplishment stands unchallenged. ;-)