Thursday, June 15, 2006

King Kong

If nothing else proves an ecclectic taste, this will: a rave review of Dangerous Liaisons, followed by a rave review of King Kong!

Once is a while I get to say it: Fantastic visuals, and a gripping story.

I am not done with the film yet, but the sequence where Kong fights the T-rexes for WhazFace was just so astonishing I had to blog something. Seriously. I can't begin to fathom the kind of work going into making something like that.

I only saw it now because I can't sit three hours in a cinema these days. And further delayed by the film being in great demand at my online DVD rental service. So I finally just broke down and bought it.

Update: I am watching the extensive making-of documentaries on the second disc, and it is certainly not less impressive. The miniature they made of the ship Venture, for instance, is fantastic. And they recorded around 50,000 different sound effects for the movie!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I remember seeing it in the theater. I thought it was a pretty good movie - great special effects - but eventually, on the island, it just became too much. I enjoye the rest of it. Unfortunately I was sitting beside a friend who thought it was boring and wanted to leave, which sort of ruined it. I think given another chance to see it, at home, with time for breaks, that it would come over even better... though some effects are just better on the big screen and movie theater sound!