Saturday, March 07, 2009

Those Things Money Can Buy (updated)

Those Things Money Can Buy, picture essay.

Motor Yacht A Price Tag: At least $300,000,000 This 390-foot custom designed yacht is notorious for its radical design. The vessel, a creation of Created French designer Philippe Starck, is owned by Andrey Melnichenko, a 36-year-old Russian billionaire industrialist.

Three hundred million?! Holy shit. Even if I had the money, I can't imagine dropping even a tenth of that on a single object. (I like the look of the boat though.)
Also, while I object to what somebody once said that you can't make a million honestly, in this case: billionaire in his thirties? In Russia? Hmmm. Also as this article points out, a hugely expensive lifestyle is a bad sign. I think that's because if people are hugely successful in an honest way, they are so because they love the work, and they won't have much interest to spare for silly luxury.

An anon commented:
Is it submersible? That's where the billionaires are jousting for. . . uh, street cred . . .
- but for style, the WWII destroyer motif of Ellison's 'little old' ex-yacht Katana is very cool.

OK, gotta admit the submarine would be excellent to have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three hundred million?! Holy shit. Even if I had the money, I can't imagine dropping even a tenth of that on a single object. (I like the look of the boat though.)

That big multi-storey cabin thing kind of ruins the streamlined look of the thing. If you want that space just make the thing longer. Maybe he didn't want it to look too much like a dick.

I too can't see spending that kind of dough on a boat. I'd feel guilty about it since so many people have so little.

Anonymous said...

I should really start proofreading before I post. I said the word "thing" enough times.

Anonymous said...

Is it submersible? That's where the billionaires are jousting for. . . uh, street cred . . . http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/phoenix-1000-submerge-yourself-in-luxury-173060.php
-but for style, the WWII destroyer motif of Ellison's 'little old' ex-yacht Katana is very cool http://yachts.monacoeye.com/yachtsbyname/mediafiles/enigma01.jpg

Anonymous said...

With a submarine, you could go in search of mermaids. For Eolake, that's a legitimate business expense.