Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why Work site

Why Work site.
I am not sure exactly what they are advocating in practical terms, and it seems neither are they. But it's a subject which bears thinking about, rather than just reacting to. For example I remember this excellent old anecdote:

A rich man walked in a little fishing village and saw a fisherman sitting with his feet up, deeply relaxed, in the middle of the day and week, and the rich man was offended. So he went up to the guy and said: "Why aren't you out fishing?"

The fisherman said: "I got enough fish for the week."

"But you should get more."

"Why?"

"So you could earn more money to get a bigger boat and hire men."

"Why?"

"To earn more money yet."

"Why?"

"So you can sit back and relax."

The fisherman just looked at him under one raised eyebrow.

---
Jens points to the original story.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the whole story, see "Anekdote zur Senkung der Arbeitsmoral" in Wikipedia.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Tanks, dude, I've linked to it.

Timo Lehtinen said...

The site is called "Why Work", but when you actually read it they appear to be talking about employment, not work per se.

Anyway, my answer to "Why Work?" is:
Because it's fun.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Arbeitsmoral???
The fisherman, in my eyes, is a very wise man. Absolutely nothing to do with "Moral" of any kind.

On the other hand: Entrepreneurs are the right men to change the way of the world, of our lives, usually for the better.
Entrepreneurs usually are wise, too, and courageous.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

TTL: yes, both good points.

Beep: Also both good points.
There's good defense to be made for both sides.

I think it's interesting the story was written by a German. The German, like the Japanese, traditionally set work above all else.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Ah so I seem to remember well, written by the German author Heinrich Boell. I read the story somewhen in the 90s.
The story ends with the fisherman saying: See I can relax NOW, without all the additional work.
Certainly an interesting story. And certainly a wise one.
Some rich men don't retire, but keep heaping money (eg Warren Buffet). On the other hand, they also employ people and grant them a decent and more or less secure life.
Nothing against being rich.
Everyone can get rich, I'm almost sure about this. Provided one is intelligent enough, forget about partying in your youth, but study and hone your skills. And be courageous. Then it's almost inevitable to prosper.

Ah yes, the Germans have a difficult relationsship with working (hard). If you don't visibly work for your money you become suspicious.
And the rich, the rich, oh my god. How dare one be rich!!!!!!!!

Timo Lehtinen said...

Here's a great blog about work: Daily Routines. (Hat-tip to Magnetic Mary)

Favourite lines:

"I found him typing vigorously, his face and his T-shirt covered with blood."

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems."

"I am a completely horizontal author. I can't think unless I'm lying down."

"I really dislike afternoons, whatever’s happening."

Also check out Writers' Rooms

Isn't Internet wonderful!