Sunday, May 23, 2010

Nor a lender be

Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend; And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry [economy].
-- William Shakespeare, 'Hamlet,' Act I, Scene iii

Stephen fry talked vehemently against this and people quoting it, because, well, I guess he doesn't believe it, and he said the character Shakespeare had say it is an idiot, so he didn't mean it to be good advice.

But it's true it's tricky business at least. I borrowed a lot as young, and while I did pay it back eventually, it took a long time. And later in life I've given substantial loans to three friends, and it seems most of it I'll probably never see again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia says of Polonius that "it is generally regarded that Polonius is wrong in all the judgements that he makes over the course of the play."

I'd say that to not borrow from or lend to friends is probably good advice, though.

TC said...

I only lend with a clear understanding (in my head) that I wont get it back.

This especially goes with books. I would rather have my books out there, being read, then have them gather dust on my shelves...