Friday, March 26, 2010

Quotes from today

Just as eating against one's will is injurious to health, so study without a liking for it spoils the memory, and it retains nothing it takes in. - Leonardo da Vinci

The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.

-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1890

If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.
-- Benjamin Franklin

"The only failure is the failure to try."
-- Buckminster Fuller

Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.
-- Og Mandino

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
-- Samuel Johnson, quoted in Boswell's Life of Johnson

When everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong-- or absolutely right.
-- Albert Guinon

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
-- Flannery O'Connor

6 comments:

Jeff R. said...


God doesn't require us to

succeed; he only requires

that you try.

-- Mother Teresa


Eolake, I'm disappointed that you would quote this sadistic harridan as if her opinions were worthwhile.
In this quote she was not encouraging perseverance - she was celebrating defeat.
May I respectfully suggest you read Christopher Hitchen's illuminating piece on this evil and misguided woman:
The Missionary Position.

If the link fails, go to Amazon and search "Missionary Position".

Highly recommended.

Jeff

dave nielsen said...

Just what I was going to say, Jeff.
There's also this.

dave_at_efi said...

I like this one much better:

"The only failure is the failure to try."

-- Buckminster Fuller

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Let's go with that one.

Jeff R. said...

Thank you Eolake.
I confess I'd rather expected to be labelled a mean old crank, and be dismissed on that basis.
Bucky Fuller is an infinitely preferable role model.
Edit is much appreciated.

Jeff

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Jeff,
If you INSIST on being dismissed as a mean old crank, I'm sure we can oblige as a favor to you. But only if you insist.
I don't always feel like trying unless I'm motivated. :-)

Knowing the "sadistic harridan" only by public hear-say, therefore knowing nothing reliable, I'll abstain from entering that debate.
(Yes, I AM the real Pascal, why do you ask? ;-)

Eolake, would you believe I always read the daily quote on Domai even before looking at the beautiful naked babe? No fib!
Of course, after I add the quote to my carefully updated collection, I take a long look at the BNB. :-)