Wednesday, October 07, 2009

No puns please

I've always had mixed feelings about puns. Generally, if I make them, I love them, and if others make them, I don't. :-)
I refuse to take responsibility for the one below, and I'm sure Tommy who sent it does too.

There was a man who entered the local paper's pun contest. He sent in ten different puns, in the hope that at least one of the puns would win. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

---
Update: A few years ago I gave my friend Laurie a birthday present, I guess a book or a film, and I said to him: "I considered giving you one of those new Apple Cinema 30-inch monitors. But then I thought you'd probably be embarrassed by such a display."

3 comments:

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

That was a good one by my "chuckle meter". One of my college Profs, Shakespeare, thought highly of the wit and intelligence required for a pun, as well as some sense of humour. But, she was an exceptional teacher.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

One type of pun I don't like is the kind I found in some stories by Spider Robinson, for example. A whole little short story, put together with the sole purpose of delivering a painfully contrived long pun at the end.

Anonymous said...

I loved the many (very bad) puns in Famous Monsters of Filmland. Few could do them better than Forry.