Friday, July 16, 2010

Japanese papercraft figures

Man, how Japanese are these? Cool though, as art.



I find it fascinating how Japan has this huge cartoon/comic culture (adults read them too, as readily as anything), but it pretty much all looks alike. You would think that such a big cultural business would develop more diversity.
(Thank goodness for Hayao Miyazaki.)

I'd like to see how these nice figures get made.
There's an article here, but it seems not to refer to the same quality level of figures.

6 comments:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

O my kawaii Kami!
Any clue where I could download the patterns for these and assemble my own at home?
Correction: I meant the templates. Prease excuse my Engrish!

I’m especially fascinated by the ones with parts that can move.
Count on the Japanese to invent paper action figures! (^_^)

Can you imagine the work it takes to shred all that hair?

P.S.: Mikayazi is da mastah, yo. Word!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Werd!

I wonder if they use lacquer to fix the paper.

Anonymous said...

Those are kind of both really cool and really creepy. I can admire the ability needed to create them but at the same time they weird me out.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I *think* I follow you, but I'm not sure.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Lacquer? Yes, very likely. Would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it?

"I *think* I follow you, but I'm not sure."
Follow him? I *think* you'd better not go there, but I'm not sure. ;-)

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Especially if my verif is a premonition. But what could "drecula" mean, I wonder?...