Thursday, June 17, 2010

What is the/a goal?

An article in extension of the stuff about blogging/earning/readers.
"My muse for the session was this quote from Walt Disney: “We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.” To me, that’s it. That’s the thing."

I heard it put another way by two old ladies who I saw interviewed on TV once, they had run their own clothing business all their lives:

"Money is not the goal, it's the means."

One might ask, well, what is the goal then. I've come to the conclusion myself that the Real Goal can't be measured within This Life, or within One Lifetime, if you like. It is helpful sometimes to put up goals like "become a millionaire" or "make a living off my art" or "getting a Pulitzer prize" or whatever. But I think the best they do is they keep one going.

Almost inevitably we see, when we have reached a Goal, that we are no happier now. We need another goal. And I think if one can get to a state where one sort of just "follows the flow" or lives intuitively, life works better.

4 comments:

Michael Burton said...

The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence.

--John F. Kennedy, paraphrasing Aristotle

Jan said...

For me, money is the means to achieve freedom to do with my life whatever I want.

Whatever I want includes resting, playing and working on things that I want to work on.

Without money I have to work on other people's dreams.

Michael Burton said...

The comment counts don't seem to be related to the actual number of comments. As I write this, I see two previous comments, but the displayed comment count is 0.

Is blogger.com now running on Windows boxes?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I'm really surprised you need to ask!

A goal is when one team manages to kick the ball into the net defended by the other team. The Danish team scored TWO of those against Cameroon last evening.

What, don't you even support your national team during the World Cup???

Shame on you! We Lebanese fanatically support the national teams of other countries.
(Uh, it's a cultural thing. I'll blog about it some day.)

"Without money I have to work on other people's dreams."
NIIIIIICE! :-D