Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My writing den

... last lifetime, and this one.



OK, I confess: none of these are really where I write the most. (That would be this keyboard (short radio show about it). I a bit addicted to the biggest and clickiest keyboard and biggest screen I could find. BUT: the pad and Apple's little wireless keyboard can easily be used for hours of serious writing every day, if space or portability or isolation (get away from the family or whatever) is a factor. They are top notch, no compromises in quality or speed. And you don't even need a power outlet, they both have battery lives longer than most people's work days.

Update:
Ganesha Games says:
I use the same set up (iPad + wireless keyboard) and it saves me from carpal tunnel pains when using the mouse on the larger screen/s in my studio. I write on the iPad at least one hour per day.

Update: searching for that old post, I saw that I've made a gazillion posts about keyboards... Maybe not quite as many as about cameras. But I just like good tools.

Here is another cool audio/article about typewriters.  One of the interesting things is that one of the users of a typewriter says that one of the advantages is the silence! That's also one of the cool things about the iPad. It's absolutely silent. Not a hum at all, it has no disks or fans. Apart from the expensive MacBook Air (the variation with solid state storage), that is almost unheard of in computers.

8 comments:

Glenn Fleishman said...

Now get the iPad/typewriter conversion kit, and you can reduce your device count by two (no keyboard and the typewriter/iPad count as one).

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Very true.

But I'll have to carry a 30-pound typewriter to the café.

(Really... I don't know the exact weight, but that Remington is a bitch to move, it's cast iron heaven.)

Robb in Houston said...

Yes - your Remington looks like it weighs double of my old Underwood or the Smith Corona.

I had a TI Silent 700 years ago, but I gave it away to a friend. Used thermal paper, but it did have a RS232 interface.

dave_at_efi said...

Whatever happened to your "buckling spring" keyboard? That crisp, positive click when a key is activated?

I remember you said it was much better for "serious writers."

Mine is in a box, after my wife adamantly refused to use it. I guess she's not one.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's the one I use daily.

Apart from the noisiness (which I can handle when I'm the one doing it), what didn't she like about it?

I guess you can be a Serious Writer without liking a long stroke and a distinct click. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Dave,
I've looked over my keyboard posts (seems there are like 150 of them...), and I can't see that I've claimed anywhere what keyboard is fit for a "serious writer".
Perhaps you were facetious. But anyway, what the clicky ones do for me is give me certainty and speed. One aspect is that I can feel for the keys without clicking them.

(One relevant post is here.)

ganesha games said...

I use the same set up (iPad + wireless keyboard) and it saves me from carpal tunnel pains when using the mouse on the larger screen/s in my studio. I write on the iPad at least one hour per day.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks. Very cool.