Thursday, April 15, 2010

mnmlist: you need less than you think

mnmlist: you need less than you think, article.
(I like the symbolic spelling of "minimalist".)

For the first twenty years of my adult life, having a lower-middle-class income, I lived like a student. I have a small rented room, a bed, desk, chair, a fridge or access to one, and that was it. I used the library a lot.
When I moved up to an upper-middle-class income, I moved up to a lower-middle-class lifestyle, and that's where I am now. Two bedrooms, one has my office, a larger fridge, a big TV. I don't have a car. Working at home, that'd be like throwing money out the window. I do have a great bed though, Tempur foam mattress.

5 comments:

Jeff R. said...

"...living at home..."?

Don't most of us do that?

Philocalist said...

Living in what you make sound like limited space, where on earth do you keep the constant stream of 'stuff' that you seem to aquire with astonishing regularity?
Or is that how you come to be living with 2 'bedrooms' ... the other 4 are now officially classed as junkroom, toyroom, playroom and archive? :-)

Anonymous said...

this girl/lady will wear the same dress every day for a year, and I think she has done it for the last four months already. her blog proves it.

ok, she has four of them dresses, but just because once in a while she runs her washing machine.

she also throws away one of her possessions every day ( click on "tschüß" )

http://www.daskleineblaue.de/

greetings from #57

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, Jeff. I meant "working at home".

Philocalist: I can understand your confusion.
1: When I moved in here seven years ago, the place was rather bare. It's much less so now.
2: I buy with discrimination.
3: Several times I've given books and such to goodwill.
4: Space is beginning to be an issue. But soon I will make a big clean-out, get rid of old stuf which has not been out of the many closets since I moved in. Then it'll be OK again.

Hehe, one day my darling cleaning lady said, as she was trying to manoeuvre around my queen-sized foam bed: "You know your place is getting smaller, don't you?"

I said: "Yes, I've noticed. If you can sign something to that effect, maybe I can get compensation."

dave nielsen said...

Working at home, that'd be like throwing money out the window.

Especially in England where everything is twice the cost, including gas.