Thursday, June 21, 2007

Safari 3 beta

The Apple Safari 3 beta has some very useful features. Including two I just found out about: "Reopen last closed window" and "reopen all windows from last session".

These are both things I've been wishing for many times. Closing a window by mistake and then trying to remember where it came from. Or needing to reboot and having several windows open which I'm not done with. Great stuff to be able to salvage those.

The Inline Find is great too. Often in the past it has been quite difficult to spot one highlighted word on a complex page, this is much improved now.
---
One odd detail about the beta though: when I write in a new address in the address bar, the old address is still sitting under it, making it near impossible to read what I'm writing. The text is on top of each other. That surely is a bug? Does others have this too, on Windows? Mac?

Oh, one more bug: this has been true of Safari for at least a year: when I click on a link in Eudora (mail app), a new Safari window opens just as I wish... but it opens behind all the other windows! Very odd, and I have not found a setting which can change it. Using "Expose" I can quickly find the new window, but it's still irritating. And no, it does not help to set it to open in a new tab, then it uses a window sitting in the dock! Very weird. Does anybody have a solution?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Browsing the web has now become such a continuous activity that any small improvement in the client will literally improve one's quality of life.

Other new features I like: (1) resizable text input field, (2) being able to rearrange tabs with drag'n'drop, (3) the revamped Find-feature, and (4) modal warnings implemented using 'sheets'.

"One odd detail about the beta though: when I write in a new address in the address bar, the old address is still sitting under it, ... Does others have this too...?"

No, I haven't noticed this on my PPC Mac.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Odd.

What's a "modal warning"?

Anonymous said...

A modal window is a pop-up window which prevents the user from doing anything else until s/he clicks a button on it (for example "Ok") to make it disappear.

A non-modal window is which hovers on the screen making its features available when needed, but where the user can also just ignore it and continue working on the main window. (Photoshop tool palettes, for example.)

The issue you are seeing may have

Anonymous said...

... something to do with a 3rd party extension you have on your system. Or, if not, then it's a bug specific to Inten Macs.

Anonymous said...

Your other problem appears to be an Eudora issue. Complain to them.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Hmm, I guess it could be. I didn't not imagine that the command coming from other apps could be more complex than "open this link", and Safari being responsible for how and where.

Anonymous said...

How does it behave for you when Safari gets called by apps other than Eudora?

I don't see the problem you describe when I do "Open link in Safari" in Vienna.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I did not think to test that way.

Well, when I use a text app, it seems to open them in front.