Sunday, June 17, 2007

Breakfast Club and dancing


Lo the dancing scene from The Breakfast Club.

I've just watched this classic film again, and I was about to rip this scene for you, when I realized I was probably not the only fan of it... and indeed not. It was already there on YouTube, of course.

I don't know why there are not more dancing scenes in movies, they are often favorite parts for many, including me. (Just witness the brief dancing scene in Pulp Fiction.)

I love what Molly Ringwald is doing here. I'm amazed at what some girls can do with a little movement, just a universe of aesthetics packed in there. And this dance here, I am not sure how it's happening, but it's like she is in the air 4/5 of the time. Gravity-defying.

6 comments:

Cristina Rodguez said...

I couldn't agree more, the movie is lovely and this dancing scene is just sublime. I used to have an animated gif of this displayed on my blog.

laurie said...

there are some beautiful and sexy dancing scenes in one of my favorite old movies, FAME. It's about kids at the New York School for the Arts.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Huh. I am not a big musical fan, but maybe I should give Fame a chance.

(I'm not against them either, I liked Grease.) (But I did not like West Side Story.)

Alex said...

Just rent some Bollywood flicks. If they are set in a village, then everyone has a song and dance every 15 minutes, and what could be nicer than all those flowing saris? You guessed it, a Bollywood movie set in, of Bangkok, London or some other exotic location, then they have a dance scene every 20 minutes in a night club. The easy entry ones are Chocolate, Lagaan, Dhoom and Ek Ajnabi.

There are other good dance films, like Moulin Rouge, and I forgot how much dancing was in Romeo + Juliet.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Maybe I had an off-night, but I couldn't get into Moulin Rouge at all. It was so weird, and not in the good way. I dunno.

Alex said...

Didn't say it wasn't wierd, but I thought it was kinda fun. I guess I'm just well disposed to seeing my films on the darker, surreal side. It liked the "Like A Virgin" sequence, whatsis face has been a fave since I saw him in History of the World, or "All The Worlds a Globe", and again in Blackadder.