Friday, March 24, 2006

The "other" category

My friend Jerry tells:

I just answered a telephone survey, and one of the things they asked me about was mobile phones.

They asked how did I use my mobile phone - text messaging, information service, downloading ring tones, games, gambling, music, video, sending photos, email.

I said no to most of them, as my mobile phone is just for emergencies and the odd call/text message.

After going through all the different ways, the girl says, "Is there any other way you use your mobile?' "Yeah, I use it to call and talk to other people. You know, like a phone." She went silent, and then said, "Oh... Right...that's not on the list, I'll put that under 'other'.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

ROFL! :) I've got friends that say the same thing: it just has to call people and receive calls. And this is coming from computer nerds and technicians.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

A friend of mine who is a teacher tells me that when he lets the student be on the web, all they do is use chat rooms and download ringtones.
Man!!

Zeppellina said...

My mobile packed in one day...so I dug out an old motorola I had stashed away in a drawer, you know, one of the old ones, quite large and ugly, but despite it`s age, still worked a treat.
I went across the road to the local shop. There was a long queue.
Someones mobile rang, and everyone in the queue immediately dug out from their pockets these little dinky pretty mobiles.
To my absolute horror, the very young and very trendy guy behind the counter said to me...
"Wow!!...that`s an amazing mobile..
What does it do......?!!!!"
I said dryly..I can receive calls and make calls on it.......
Still excited, he said..
"Yes...but what else can it do..it looks amazing..."
I repeated, ..I can receive calls and make calls on it.....

He was very young.

Dragonsbane said...

I have a treo 600, which is a combination palm pilot and cell phone. I got it because it allows me to collapse two things I carry around into one thing. Since I heavily use Outlook at work for my schedule it is very useful to be able to see what is coming up today, this week, this month, etc. The palm user interface is fairly good, and I can get a lot programs to run on the palm, like my travel itinery, and a program to turn the Treo into a digital recorder for voice notes, aand the ability to check my email. This however flies in the face of what many people in the comments were looking for. I occaisionally use text messages if I'm in a meeting and need to tell someone something short and important (rare). I use the phone (alot), and I don't have ringtones, or "skins", or use the camera (didn't want one, but couldn't get one without it).

Camilla said...

I love this post!