Friday, October 15, 2010

Dl speeds

It's lovely how download speeds keep going up. I just bought an movie for digital delivery (a highly cultural movie called Mums and Daughters), and when I saw it was two gigabytes, I thought "oh great, I'll have to wait all night for this". But whoo-hoo, the download speed is 2.2MB/second! Holy mofo. A year ago I was highly impressed by having moved up to 1/5th of that speed.

Another new thing is that after half of the download (less than ten minutes), it is keeping steady at 2.2MB. Very nice, I guess we all knows about big downloads which start great and then get slower and slower...

6 comments:

ttl said...

I've noticed the same thing: downstream bandwidth is higher than it used to be. Years ago it wasn't as high as it is today. It was much lower.

The only way I can explain it is that technology must have improved. Someone must have been working to improve it, and now it is better than it used to be.

If download speeds continue to become faster still, let's all blog about it! Let's inform Internet users so they can appreciate it! ;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Your sarcasm is becoming more subtle and gentler, thank you.

Anonymous said...

That's about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the skull. You'd think those long, cold nights in a podunk place like Finland might be put to better use. Is this what passes for wit in that shit hole?

ttl said...

Well, it was worth writing if for no other reason than to elicit that display of derogatory finesse from our resident insultant. So, at least indirectly I am contributing to the quality of this board.

Meanwhile, I have installed a meter to keep an eye on my downstream bandwidth. If I notice any significant improvement, I will promptly all of you in writing.

Anonymous said...

So, at least indirectly I am contributing to the quality of this board.

You really think so? Intersting.

Ray said...

Must have been a special on 'Nasty Pills' this week - everybody seems to have taken theirs.....

Please, let's not strain each other's tenuous magnanimity with superfluous and derogatory remarks wasted demonstrating how smart we aren't.