Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lamborghini/Sharpies

Lamborghini decorated with Sharpie pens and lacquered for permanence.







I wonder though if they will be disappointed, because last year I went for a big hunt for pens which were light-fast (won't fade by exposure to daylight). I thought, like many people I'm sure, that "permanent" meant it's light-fast, but it turns out it doesn't, it just means it's more or less water-proof. And as a matter of fact I could not find any pen which is light-fast. So this pretty car art may fade pretty soon.

He needn't have used pens anyway, he could as easily have done this with acrylic paint.

7 comments:

Ganesha Games said...

The black lines will be brown and purple within a couple of months in the sun. Maybe the car will look even better, though

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I doubt it. I've not seen sharpie lines fade gracefully.

Tommy said...

Somehow, I think I'd be embarassed driving into the grocery store parking lot in this. Tacky!

Philocalist said...

Strange how 'taste' varies, no? :-) Ignoring the fact that this was done with Sharpie pens I actually like the overall appearance, though wonder how it would look under close scrutiny?
If I recall correctly, this has been around for some time? I think it was created by a young guy who inherited a dealership following the death of his father, as a kind of hommage ... and it was put up for sale on ebay at some stage too!

dave nielsen said...

Maybe the lacquer will protect it from fading.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It will surely slow it down, since it probably cuts out some of the ultraviolet light. But not all of it, and the visible light spectrum can also cause fading.

Michael Burton said...

I did something like this to my brother's Lamborghini.

The jury said my death was justifiable homicide.