Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPad keynote is up (updated again)


The iPad Steve Jobs keynote speech is up.
(They keep calling them keynotes, even though there are no longer any convention for it to be a keynote for.)
(By the way, my first iPad post is bigger now.)

OK, I'll admit it, I'm sold on the iPad by now. I'm geek enough to like it, but not geek enough to hate its shortcomings too much. :-)
I never got myself an iPhone. I don't use phones much, and for most other uses, it's simply too small for me, it's no fun. I have an iPod Touch, but I barely use it.
But the iPad seems useful to me. For example, it seems to be what I wished for, for watching videos like this keynote. (What I do for now is use my Airbook with a Laidback stand.) And exactly the same goes for reading articles which are longer than a typical blog post. The office chair is not meant for relaxed reading/watching, it's meant for work.

There's also many kewl new apps which have only appeared because of the iPhone, such as certain painting apps, postcard apps, iTunes University, and so on. These will now be available on the iPad, and will surely soon optimized for its much larger and better interface also, but still with the appealing simplicity which was their raison d'etre in the first place.

Me, of course, I'll always need a device with a good keyboard too. But it just hits me:
most people don't write. Hardly even emails!
Okay, they fire off a two-line email to family twice a week and they answer work emails very briefly, but that's it, and a glass keyboard can do that. But they simply don't really need a keyboard that much, and that's probably over 90% of web users...
Also, most people don't touch-type when they write their occasional email, and if you're looking at the keyboard anyway, then the glass keyboard is much less of a disadvantage.
(I can also observe the fact that I sometimes get in contact with a person who tells me that they have been pleased visitors to the blog or to Domai for years... and yet they have never mailed me or even just put in a comment. I guess it simply is not something most people do.)

... The more I think about it, the more I think I could learn to love this kind of thing as my mobile device, only pulling out a bluetooth keyboard when I really need to type. For example, have the dock with the keyboard in my hotel room, and then take just the light and small device with me for lunch, for reading/viewing/browsing and checking if any important mails or work situations come in. Hmmmm, yeah...

Of course, I should remember that even with a keyboard and mouse, this thing is not a Mac, it does not have a windows interface, can't multitask, can't run my usual Mac apps, and so on. So if it's a working vacation, and I want to do more than pure writing or light photo editing, I'd probably like to have my MacBook Pro with me, upon reflection.
... Which makes it a little bit puzzling to me why they wanted the iPad to be able to run iWork. If you want to do desktop publishing work and such, would you not want to have an actual computer, at least a laptop?

--------------------

More observations: Joel Johnson. John Herrman.
And Stephen Fry. Who says:
There are many issues you could have with the iPad. No multitasking, still no Flash. No camera, no GPS. They all fall away the minute you use it. I cannot emphasise enough this point: “Hold your judgment until you’ve spent five minutes with it”. No YouTube film, no promotional video, no keynote address, no list of features can even hint at the extraordinary feeling you get from actually using and interacting with one of these magical objects.

And of course Adolf weighs in.
And here's a thought about iPads and the older generations.

Update: the iPad has been underway since the nineties...

A hands-on article.

23 comments:

Timo Lehtinen said...

What I do for now is use my Airbook with a Laidback stand.

But wouldn't there be just as much reason to place the iPad on the Laidback stand (so as to not have to hold it up) when reading, and if so, where's the improvement? In fact, with its tiltable screen, the Airbook may well still be better for this.

Same for sitting on the couch. Jobs didn't look entirely comfortable when balancing the iPad on his legs. It seems the Laidback stand could be of help on the couch too!

Also, it seems it's not really convenient to use it flat on the table, say, in a meeting room. That's why, I presume, the case doubles as a stand.

It does appear to be a cool device, but I predict that all sorts of stands will be popular accessories for it. And then, the question arises, why not use an Airbook (if you can afford one, of course).

It's seems to me the really clever gadget here is the Laidback stand!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The Laidback stand is excellent for lying on your back in bed for a long time, but for other positions (variations of lying, sitting, and standing), it's not very good, and also it's bit clumsy to "take it off" yourself if you get up and down from bed all the time.

Timo Lehtinen said...

(But probably PDF support and Flash will come soon.)

It already supports viewing PDFs.

I would be very surprised if they ever added Flash support. Flash needs to die, and Apple is on a mission to make that happen.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good to hear about PDF, I had not yet seen any evidence about that.

Flash is often used badly, but it can be useful, and I think too many web sites use it to ignore it.

Timo Lehtinen said...

Viewing PDFs was demonstrated on the keynote yesterday.

It's not a question of whether Flash is used well or not, the interpreter is a resource hog and the worst kind of security risk.

Anonymous said...

No Flash support on the iPad and from the tone of this article I doubt there will be in a 2G.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/ten-things-missing-from-the-ipad/

Timo Lehtinen said...

The Fryster was in the congregation and blogged it.

Miserere said...

Some people are really pissed off with the iPad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Too bad Steve Jobs won't be able to watch this video on his iPad...

Miserere said...

I just read the Stephen Fry comment. Didn't he do some PR and publicity work for Leica around the launch of the M8...?

;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I don't think so. I'd probably have one if I'd reach such a thing.

Sukiho said...

sad how people are still looking for spiritual fulfillment in technology, still, this is better then getting a car to hide ones loneliness like many people do

Timo Lehtinen said...

The reason the iPad is so cheap is because it doesn't have "Intel inside", but rather a processor of Apple's own making, called A4. Still, it runs iWork blazingly fast and consumes surprisingly little power.

I wonder if the A4 processor will gradually end up in Macs as well? I.e. if Apple has yet another architecture transition in the cards?

Apple/Steve likes to be in control of everything. This overall strategy is finally bearing some big fruit for them.

I'm sure paying hefty sums to Intel for the processors in, say, the Airbook or the Mac Mini is not an ideal situation for them.

Timo Lehtinen said...

Well, to clarify a little, the A4 is more a system-on-a-chip than merely a processor, and the design of the processor inside the A4 is said to be based on the ARM Cortex A9 licensed by Apple and implemented by its team of chip designers acquired as part of its 2008 purchase of P.A. Semi.

Still, Apple makes the beast and controls its pricing.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"I'm sure paying hefty sums to Intel for the processors in, say, the Airbook or the Mac Mini is not an ideal situation for them."

I'm sure you're right. And I'm sure they are still hurting from the way it burned them to be dependant on IBM/Motorola for the PowerPC chip, which fell behind.

It sounds like the A4 thingy is a big accomplishment, that can't be an easy thing to do.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"Viewing PDFs was demonstrated on the keynote yesterday."

Was it? I didn't see it. Approximately when?

BTW, does the iPad have a filing system? Or do you have to be online to save the documents you make on it?

Timo Lehtinen said...

It may have been in Phil Schiller's segment. It was when Safari was demonstrated.

Does your iPod Touch have a filing system? I'm sure it's the same.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I have not used the iPod Touch very much. To be honest, the interface is not very intuitive to me. I once spent fifteen minutes trying to find out how to do something totally basic, like put songs on Shuffle or something. It was different from the iPod, and not at all clear to me. (I think it turned out there was a little symbol I had to click on, which was only showing in certain circumstances.)

I have not seen any indicatons of a filing system. But the iPad is meant for creation, the Touch is not.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

here

"No User Accessible File System: Once again, the iPhone OS, which hides its underlying file system from users, proves to me that an OS for smartphones does not belong in the iPad. Without access to the file system, you're stuck being able to only access files from within applications or to sending files to apps a developer thinks is suitable. For instance, while I can send a photo from the Photo app to Mail, can I send a photo to application xyz? Only if the developer thinks I should."

Timo Lehtinen said...

Yes, but the file system has to be there (otherwise the iWork apps had nowhere to store files). It's only that there is no Finder.app to browse it.

Miserere said...

The Big E wrote: I don't think so. I'd probably have one if I'd read such a thing.

I was just being facetious, E. It seems to me the iPad is much like the Leica M8: A greatly anticipated product that does little of what its potential buyers wanted it to.

Stephen Fry's comment to me sounded like this: it doesn't matter if it's missing every single essential tool you'd want in a slate gizmo, it's Apple, and it's glossy, and it's cool to play with, so you should love it and buy it.

Am I too cynical? :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

If you are, you're certainly not alone! :-)

I think it's a bit of each.

And I think the geeks are not who it's for. And for who it's for, it's near-perfect in the first gen, except for lack of a camera for video conferencing.

Me, I'll get it simply as a web/ebook reader, and regard anything else as bonuses.

dave nielsen said...

Also, most people don't touch-type when they write their occasional email, and if you're looking at the keyboard anyway, then the glass keyboard is much less of a disadvantage.

I'm constantly surprised by how many people (like my old man for example) are content to keep using the old slow-as-molasses hunt-and-peck typing. I would have thought it would be frustrating. It doesn't take that long to learn to type, especially if you're satisfied with a mere 60-or-so words per minute.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ya, learning to touch-type was one of the best choices I did in school.
I had to rehabilitate it ten years later, but it was worth it. I'm not at a top-secretary level, but people have told me they were impressed, when I have typed in public.