Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Laughing Gnostic

Here's a highly unusual article about David Bowie. Sort of good fun.
"Bowie (born 1947 as David Robert Jones) is seen by some as a sort of 'Renaissance Man' whose professed 'universality' is an attempt to show the landmarks of evolution by reassembling the fragmentary pieces of our society; and in this, he resembles many occultists. But unlike most occultists, Bowie has considerable wealth, critical acclaim, penetrating intelligence, and enduring good looks; he seems set to go on to even greater heights and achievements. What next, godhead? There is a Faustian/Mephistophelean element here. How else to explain the absolute zenith of this man's worldly trajectory? In fact, there are people who are convinced that his success wouldn't be possible without some kind of otherworldly assist.* I do not share this opinion. It is my conviction that Bowie's work has been seriously underestimated, and cannot be reduced to a series of single topics.
Nevertheless, it can't be ignored that Bowie has constructed his public persona from the various parts of the puzzle that are at the roots of modern occultism."

BTW, I discovered something interesting by accident: some pages, like this one, have a code which prohibits you from selecting/copying any text. But it seems that this can be circumvented by using the highly usuable Readable App. (I find now that I can copy text from the page normally in Firefox, I couldn't in Safari.) (Here's another page/site I can't select the text at in Safari.)

2 comments:

neeraj said...

... some pages, like this one, have a code which prohibits you from copying any text.

Really? I have no problem to mark any text on your blog and to copy it (WinXP, Opera 10.1 as well as Firefox 3.5.6).

Basically it's very rare for me that I can't copy/paste from any website, and if there are real problems I'm using (in Opera, it's my standard browser) "User mode" instead of "Author mode" (see below).

I find now that I can copy text from the page normally in Firefox, I couldn't in Safari.

So, it seems to be an issue of Safari.


P.S.: From Opera knowledge base:

What is the difference between author mode and user mode?

The user can select to view a web page in "Author mode" or "User mode".

Author mode means that the web page is displayed as the developer intended it to be displayed, using the styles defined for different types of text provided with the web page.

User mode uses a style sheet defined by the user. This means that you as a user have more control over how the page is displayed.

You can choose between "Author mode" or "User mode" by going to View > Style or use Shift+G to toggle between these two modes.

Steve said...

I had no problem copying and pasting (Linux, Firefox 3.5.4). When I have a site trying to prevent me from doing things, I usually disable javascript (if it isn't disabled already) and can do what I want to do just fine.