Monday, October 26, 2009

Ministry - N. W. O. (updated)

Ministry - N. W. O. (New World Order, quoting George Bush Sr.) (And in fact this is not an endorsement. Al Jourgenson, the heart of Ministry, made a whole album later just about all the things he hates about Bush, this time Junior.)

Thanks to Jan, here is the orginal video for the studio version, which I think is even better.




... I'm reminded of Scarecrow from the same album (Psalm 69), another old fave. Admittedly it ideally should be played loud on very good speakers, since it's a "wall of sound" song.

Update: Magnetic Mary prefers the one below. And that's great too. (I think it's the closest Ministry has been to a hit, no?)

9 comments:

Jan said...

I love this tune, it ROCKS! But I hadn't realized how political it is - the lyrics aren't very clear.

My favourite N.W.O. video:
http://www.dailymotion.pl/video/xug6p_ministry-nwo_music

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"aren't very clear"

That's no overstatement! I've never been able to get a single line clearly.
So I just looked them up, not sure it helped.

----
All the locals hide their tears of regret
Open fire cos I love you to death
Sky high, with a heartache of stone
Youll never see me cos Im always alone

How to love without a trace of dissent
Ill buy the torture cos you pay for the rent
Tied high with a broken command
Youre all alone to the promised land

Im in love with this malicious intent
Youve been taken but you dont know it yet
What you will know must never live to be found
Cos its the subject of the eyes of the clown

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

BTW, I *think* that the "it's all right, it's all right" sampling is from Apocolypse Now, an American yells it from the shore to the boats, before they find the camp of rogue commander.

Cristina Rodguez said...

OMG, I was so absolutely obsessed about this song for quite some time...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Cool.

Did you also like Scarecrow? ( here)

emptyspaces said...

Scarecrow was my favorite song on that album.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I hear ya. It's a pretty awesome and very seminal track.

Cristina Rodguez said...

I'm more into this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4X9yElG9Y

Like one of the comments go, "If you can listen to this song and sit still you may want to check your pulse :)".

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I dig it.
I bought it in large format single format when it was released. I remember listening to it very loud over the speakers in the record shop (not your father's record store). When it arrived at the first raw guitar, my mind was made up instantly. Rock and friggin roll.