Thursday, October 29, 2009

Many many many applications...

A macro I'm using to open the half-dozen apps I'm using most, went wrong somehow, and selected and double-clicked every item (310) in my applications folder!

The bad news: it seems OS X does not have a safeguard to ask for verification when one doubleclicks a very large number of items.

The good (and astounding) news: After opening hundreds of apps and files, the Mac was still running and functioning!!

I pointed my Panasonic GF1 close at the screen and recorded this video of it. The bouncing icons belong to apps which want to talk to me for some reason.
See also the tiny icons at the bottom of the two screenshots below. (I had to divide the screenshot into two halves so Blogger would not scale it down.)






I'd expected total meltdown. (And for a while the screen did look funky.) But then 1)OS X is designed specifically to load only the essential bit of an app, I think. 2) I have f***ing 12GB of RAM in this awesome machine.

5 comments:

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

LOL,

Eolake,

I tried to warn you about those macro programs. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'll betcha did.
But I wouldn't have had this adventure without it.

Also, it really is helpful normally.

Chris S. said...

I remember doing something like that back on Win98. After about 30 apps it totally started getting psychotic and unbearably slow.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

See, that's what I expected.

But then 1) X is designed specifically to load only the essential bit of an app, I think. 2) I have f***ing 12GB of RAM in this f***er.

TC [Girl] said...

That makes for one HELL of a LONG morning, shutting ALL those "puppies" down!! LOL!! They look like little virus spawns waiting to attack your computer on that vid! lol! ;-)