Saturday, September 05, 2009

Industrial Town Eksthetic part Trois, 2

I'm sometimes indecisive about color. Some pictures can have charm in different ways both as color and BW.

Lord Clyde here is a little, unkempt pub not far from where I live. I don't know how they make their living, for they are not near any other pubs or shops, and there's virtually no foot traffic. Perhaps they have some Other Business going on, a couple of times I walked past and looked in through the door in passing, somebody came out and looked at me, like they were expecting somebody.

Britain is being modernized like most countries, but parts of it still looks "like Denmark did in the fifties" as one of my friends said.

I sorta like these pics, whaddaya think?
Note the pink flower, it was there before me.



I could decipher some of that remarkable board/sign, but Alex who grew up in these parts made a full translation:

ALL DAY

BREKY T + TOAST 3.00

FRESH SARNY

MADE ON REQUEST 1.20

CHIP BARM 1.20


Translation:-

All day breakfast, with tea and toast. 3.00

Fresh Sandwiches made on request. 1.20

Steak Fries served in a white bread hamburger bun. 1.20


I'm not sure I want to eat there, with those prices and the level of literacy.


... French fries in a white bun?!?

Well, with your ciggy and lager, that's about that day's nutrition done with.




13 comments:

Alex said...

ALL DAY
BREKY T + TOAST 3.00
FRESH SARNY
MADE ON REQUEST 1.20
CHIP BARM 1.20


Translation:-

All day breakfast, with tea and toast. 3.00

Fresh Sandwiches made on request. 1.20

Steak Fries served in a white bread hamburger bun. 1.20

part Trois, 2

The send part of part three?

Alex said...

When I say send, I mean second.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, mate.
Post updated.

---
Yep, second part of part three.
Maybe I should use "series three" instead. Ah well.

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

The color of the building is special, so I vote for the color version.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The bricks or the front?
The bricks I have desaturated.
The pic with the front and car is saturated a bit, but it pretty much does look like that.

Monsieur Beep! said...

It looks all a bit delapidated huh? I feel I´d have problems with my mood if I lived in such an area.

Nonetheless, the UK has its beautiful aspects as well.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, I tend to take pictures of dilapidated things, they are more visually interesting.

But also, I live in a tiny island of middle-classness in a big neighborhood of, well, industrial areas I guess.
One day I may want to get better areas to take walks, but the neighborhood is not dangerous, I'm comfortable, and I live fabulously cheap, so I can save up for a great home if I wish.

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

The burnt sienna, red oxide paint.

Alex said...

Chip butties are great sandwiches, a chip barm is the best form of chip butty.

Take one floury bap (barm cake) and spread with butter, add chips (fries), salt and vinegar.

Chips are best when cut to a modest proportion (I believe the US term is Steak Fry, 10x10x70mm), and fried in lard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barm_cake

I would have to say the Lord Clyde looks real "spit and sawdust". I take it the curtain is on the lounge, and the nets are on the bar. I've been in such pubs to a warm welcome, joining in the quiz etc, and other times your face just doesn't fit. If you feel compelled to go in, the lounge would be more welcoming.

It's strange, but some of those pubs the lounge is deserted, and the bar chocker. Almost an inverse snobbery. But also sometimes the lounge costs a bit more.

If you take the Rovers Return (on Corry) as the archetypal working mans boozer, it had a tap room and a snug, but no real lounge. The remodelling, post 85, rendered it as a single lounge, but a lower end one.

Places like that fill up in the evenings, especially Fri, Sat nights, but also catch the shift workers on their way home. I assume they have an off licence too. They are neighbourhood pubs, or "locals", so they need nearby residences, not foot traffic, or near by pubs and shops.

Just thinking, when I lived in a halfway such area we had The George (George and Dragon) at the top of the street, at the bottom was "The Bouverie Arms", and down the street, The Chichester.

Ah, I miss pubs.

(Get a google map of Chester England, and ask for "pub", you'll see we had quite a few to choose from.

BaronessBlack said...

A Swedish friend of mine once told me he had an English breakfast every day.
'A full fry-up?' I queried.
'No' he replied
'A cup of tea and a cigarette!"

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Funny.

Neither type is very healthy, I think.
The first time I had an "English breakfast" type meal (bacon, sausages, egg), I could barely walk home. The amount of fat was staggering.

Aniko said...

B&W makes things dramatic. The colored picture doesn't talk to me, the B&W is at least dramatic.

Anonymous said...

The burnt sienna, red oxide paint.

What a pretentious douche!