Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Advertising and phoniness

Apropos phoney, Don pointed to this video. An advertising executive explains how advertising people can do something that others can't do, make the public feel something for the product. I think this points to why I've always felt so uneasy about advertising: it's phoney by definition.

It's not made by people who love the product, it's made by people who are paid to make others love a product they probably don't even care about themselves.

And what's more, if they can make the public love the product for reasons which have nothing whatsoever to do with the product itself, that's not considered a downside or any kind of a lie. If I've been drinking Cola my whole life because as a youngster I fell in love with a girl in a Cola commercial, that will be considered a legitimate victory by advertising people and their customers, not a swindle.

I think the ultimate in this kind of 'think' is that if such people could make people love and continue to buy an empty box and somehow never notice that it's empty, they would consider that the ultimate business. Honesty and delivering a valuable product simply has no consideration in their world, only how much money they make.

5 comments:

Royce said...

Yes - that's advertising. Making people and the general public believe and think that they need your product to fulfill a need, desire, want, satisfaction or other subtle requirement. Perception is reality. What is thought to be wanted and needed (even though it is not really needed) is still needed. Perfect example is www.domai.com. We love it. And so do I. www.rcmedia.com

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

No relation with the topic whatsoever (and I'll cautiously stick with that official statement no matter what!!!), but currently political parties are advertising on huge billboards for the upcoming elections.

Most visually prominent in this aspect is the Future Movement Party:
"The Present only exists in the Future."
"You need to build the Future now."
"The Future is the rest of your life."
Etc. I'm sure you get the "concept". So subtle, it's uncanny.

It's interesting to note that this Party is currently HOLDING the power, they're not the challengers promising change from the previous administration. :-)

Anonymous said...

Add to your ignorance the world of advertising.

Tommy said...

"Perception is reality. What is thought to be wanted and needed (even though it is not really needed) is still needed."

I feel so frustrated, depressed, etc, etc. From the moment of consciousness in the morning we are being crushed with this "Perception" crap. Where can you go without having it right in your face? I could swim under water, but my bathing suit would still have that logo on it.

I'm a little over half way through The Corporation from Aniko's blog and I'm feeling more depressed and scared about it all.

Sukiho said...

I have to say I have seen some very good ads lately, no idea what the product was but the ads are great, one was Bob Dylans Im Sick of Love but most were humor