Sunday, February 03, 2008

Quality digital cameras

The long-expected High-Quality-Compact-digicam Sigma DP1 is finally coming, in spring.

UPDATE: Thanks for Bert for pointing to these sample pictures. I have to admit, they do look really excellent.

It will be interesting to see how it fares. If it really makes significantly better pictures than pocket cameras, and if so, are the compromises worth it? For instance, it has a fixed-focal length lens, and a modest largest aperture of 4.0. Compare with a classic high-quality compact (film) camera, the Konica Hexar, which had the very strong feature of a lens as sharp as any Leica lens, and the high speed of 2.0. All that in a compact camera with autofocus and built-in winder, which cost less than the Leica lens cost alone.

Also, I am made less than optimistic by previous attempts in the genre, to wit the Leica M8 and the Ricoh GR Digital. The former costs $5,000, but in many respects compares poorly to entry level DSLR cameras costing $500. The latter I bought for twice what I paid for the Fujifilm F10, but it did not have a better image quality, and unlike the Fuji it does not even have a zoom lens. It's all quite weird.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any idea on the target price?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nope. This is one of those products that can be priced in a variety of ways, since it does not slot in neatly between any competing products.

Anonymous said...

I see. I hope they won't aim too high, because it sure looks like a really neat carry-everywhere toy.

For my part, I'm not too worried about the slow f1:4 lens, as the large sensor should give it enough sensitivity to make it stand way out of the crowd. But at 28mm (35mm equiv.), it is a bit wide for my taste. And the large sensor in a compact case is also problematic, so it sure will need outstanding optics to avoid edge aberrations. No image stabilization either.

Guess we will have to wait for a few months, until decent reviews come out.

Anonymous said...

"Thanks for Bert for pointing to these sample pictures. I have to admit, they do look really excellent."

My pleasure, as always.

The pictures look great indeed, and the optics appear to be excellent. Except for the very first and only indoors one, perhaps. True, the lighting combination is horrendous (halogen + sodium, all spots, in a setting that with a little added red, could well be a Fisher-Price package). I had to download the raw and play with it in PS to get over the color of that poor lady, who looks like a sick lemon.

But in the end, the only thing that really bothers me are the specs of that indoors picture: ISO 400, 1/30 sec, F4.0. That's nearing the handheld limit of the camera (ISO 800 max, no IS) in what appears to be a relatively brightly lit environment. Maybe I was wrong for not being worried about the max aperture...

But the camera is still in Beta, so perhaps things will get a little better. I hope that they can scrounge more sensitivity out of it. And more sample pics, of course.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, those are indeed very important limitations.
Especially the no IS. Sigma has just released a host of lenses with IS, so we know they have the technology.

Anonymous said...

It may only prove my ignorance, but I have heard of Sigma only recently (or at least, the name never stuck before).

How are they perceived in general? Any comments on the general quality of their products? I have a bad reminiscence of one-brand-fits-all lenses, "back in the days".

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention that I found this link, where they mention a target price of 1,000$. Not too hurtful.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm sure they have good products. It used to be their quality assurance was sub-par, so there was a risk of getting a dud. But that may easily have changed too. It's a big brand and has been around for decades.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The DP1 will be a hard sell if it costs more than an entry level DSLR with a standard zoom. Especially now that Canon has brought out a standard zoom with IS and amazing sharpness!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

... But I must admit it looks delightfully compact.

Anonymous said...

I guess we agree, then. Bring in a couple f-stops more, and it could be a nice x-mas stocking stuffer. :)