Monday, May 09, 2016

Don't trust the beard!

Chris Pine, below, is to have a part in next year's Wonder Woman movie. When I saw this picture, it struck me how rare it is to see a bearded man in the movies, unless he's a villain or a comic foil.

I guess it really is true that the broad public (in many countries) on some level distrusts bearded men. This makes as little sense to me as the antagonism some people have towards redheads, meaning none at all, I love redheads and I look better with a beard. But it must have some truth to it, because I believe that our movies (in whatever country) reflect our broadest feelings, beliefs, desires.


Looks promising.

3 comments:

Joe Dick said...

Makes you look like you've got something to hide. :-)

Hopefully the WW movie will be better than Batman vs Superman. Among other problems it seemed to exist only to set up more movies rather than be good in itself. But I liked whoever it is who plays WW - though I hope she eventually dons the ol' Stars and Stripes costume.

Joe Dick said...

I don't know much about the character, but if she's an Amazonian...and if she's hetero...what's she been doing all these years? You'd think she'd be all over Superman like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No kidding. And vice versa.
Perhaps the problem is that Superman historically has had some kind of relationship with Lois Lane.
Superman with Wonder Woman has rarely been explored. Though it is in Frank Miller's Dark Knight comics series. They even get a quite alien child, the intriguing Kara.

Hoping not to offend USA cititzens, I think blue/red/white may be problematic in costumes. You can see how they always try to tone them down somehow in Serious comics and movies. The last Superman costume was more grey than blue. I didn't think that was a particularly successful choice, but it illustrates the problem. Three primary colors together in clothing tend to look garish.