Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ricky Gervais, a fan

[Thanks to Through The Lens]


On the picture above, Ricky Gervais looks kind and warm. This made me realize what it is about him which rubs me the wrong way, in his comedy: normally, he displays no kindness and warmth at all. One can tolerate rude and confrontational comedy better if one feels that the person respects and likes the target and people in general, but I don't get that feeling from him, normally.
I'm sure he *has* kindness and warmth, we are all children of Source. But it's hidden better in some.

At least he's a Bowie fan, so he can't be all bad.
I'm a bit envious that he met David Bowie, for Bowie is one of the very few people who I have dreamed of meeting, even literally, dreamed at night.

7 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

That's an interesting observation about comedy, Eolake. I hadn't thought of it before, but now that you mention it, I can see I intuitively have made the same distinction between comedy that shows some appreciation for people and comedy that lacks any such appreciation for them. The latter tends to bore me.

ttl said...

He may not display warmth, but he can be sparkling.

In any case, he is not fond of the anti-laugh.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I had a colleague once who expressed friendship, but usually with expressions like: "have a good day now, you old prick".
He told me "all humor is vicious". I got him backed down to "most humor", I thought it hopeless to try and push the matter further.

ttl said...

Yeah, but we tolerate Ricky, the cunt, because he gives us Karl. Having introduced Karl to the world, we forgive him his personal weaknesses.

Anonymous said...

comedy that shows some appreciation for people and comedy that lacks any such appreciation for them. The latter tends to bore me.

A lot of stupid people probably feel the same way. I like smart comedy which is not often the safe Jay Leno stuff you like.

H. Barron said...

I can see I intuitively have made the same distinction between comedy that shows some appreciation for people and comedy that lacks any such appreciation for them. The latter tends to bore me.

I agree that the kind you like, which shows some appreciation for people (blecch! Just phrasing it that way gives me the creeps!), is usually very boring. Safe, which equals boring. 1950s style comedy, but without all the racism and shit like that, which makes it even more antiseptic. That is a perfect word to describe it. There are people who don't know how to do the "edgier" stuff right, which is what makes less intelligent people dismiss it altogether.

ttl said...

Ricky Gervais and Pepe The King Prawn