Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Hokey Pokey



from wikipedia:

There had been many theories and conjectures about the meaning of the words "hokey pokey", and of their origin. Some scholars[who?] attributed the origin to the Shaker song Hinkum-Booby which had similar lyrics and was published in Edward Deming Andrews' A gift to be simple in 1960: (p. 42).


" A song rendered ("with appropriate gestures") by two Canterbury sisters while on a visit to Bridgewater, N.H. in 1857 starts thus:
I put my right hand in,
I put my right hand out,
In out, in out.
shake it all about.
As the song continues, the "left hand" is put in, then the "right foot," then the "left foot," then "my whole head."
...Newell gave it the title, "Right Elbow In", and said that it was danced " deliberately and decorously...with slow rhythmical motion."


"Decorously"... gotta love it. Those Victorians had a far-out sense of humor.

We did this song when I was a kid in Denmark. Funny enough in Danish it has an added chorus fitting nicely with the melody and the lyrics "ooh, boogie-woogie-woogie". Not great poetry, but I find that the song without it gets monotonous. I wonder if that chorus is a Danish invention.

7 comments:

Bruce W. said...

For some strange reason, it always seems to be done by the band at wedding receptions. . .?

Anonymous said...

I remember doing the same dance 60 years ago. In England it is called the hokey kokey, the chorus is oh hokey kokey kokey.... etc......

Ethan said...

tik tok ringtone 2019
These are legendary songs. I know a page that allows listening and downloading music for free on the phone.

Dskfan said...

I have a hobby of surfing the web. I am always looking for useful websites for me. And I found a very good webstite that allows you to download that free ringtone, https://media16.net. You want to download ringtones for iphone, for android, please access it

Anonymous said...

Thanks For Sharing Info.. And Also Visit New Tones Mp3 For More Info

Digital Dad said...

Visit This Site For Unlimited Status Video

Digital Dad said...

Nice Inf...

Status Video Download

Free PDF Books

Letras Club

Sarki Sozleri