Saturday, September 04, 2010

Mighty Bright light

Another funny koinkidink: Ray just mentioned, under the desk post, that a light for the keyboard might be nice. And a reviewer of my new Mighty Bright lamps said that's one thing he's using it for. I don't need it, but his keyboard is on a keyboard shelf and badly lit in the evenings.

They are originally made for (and for some reason still only promoted for) use by musicians for their sheet music, but they have many uses. They are very small and very light (they hardly add weight to a Kindle or a paper book), they have a neutral light color, and since it's an LED lamp, it uses very little battery. You can twist it to any position you like, nice construction.

They won't, you know, compete with the sun, but I think they can be handy in a blackout, so I have bought three, and I keep one on my desk for the odd occasion when I have to sign a check in the evening or summin'.





The grip on the naked Kindle is not so dang secure, which is why I put soft tape around it. Didn't help much, but a little strip of velcro did. (I went looking for actual rubber tape, which surely must exist somewhere, but people went blank when I asked for it.)

I think it has just sufficient light to help with a book in a typical room, and to give the little extra. The one I link to above is not available in the UK, but it has two "super" LEDs, so perhaps it has more light. [Update: my mistake, they are on A-UK.]

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding rubber tape:

Have you tried rubber ELECTRICAL tape?

Here in the US, it's sold by electrical supply houses, under the 'Scotch' brand. It's black, maybe 3/4 inch wide, non-adhesive, and insanely elastic.

It's used for insulating cable splices, and will eventually 'set up' or seal-to-itself, to the point where it must be cut off.

Probably not a problem in your application, but it does retain it's 'rubbery-ness' (which means it will also pick up dirt)

Hope this helps

Ouzinki

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I don't think I've seen the stuff before, but it might work, thanks.

Ben said...

Electrical tape will also leave a sticky residue as it ages, especially if exposed to heat.

I don't know if these guys ship to the UK, but this stuff is probably ideal: http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/78081.aspx

hatho said...

Wash a condom to remove the lubricant, then they provide many uses for the inventive constructor and fixer (wrap, dab of superglue, done) also great for waterproof packing of small items if you knot them. We used them to keep dynamite sticks fresh in years gone by and for setting charges under water.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Hatho, thanks, that sounds good.

Ben, that is the kind of stuff you actually see on the pictures. But it does not enhance the grip as much as one should think.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

OK, I tried the condom idea. It was more promising than it was keeping, as it were. Or maybe my emergency stash of Durex has just become too old. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is another reason why these devices suck shit.

Monsieur Beep! said...

I will accept cheques which where signed any time.

(;-))

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Just checking in to report... the electrical tape didn't do it. It's elastic, but the surface (I tried two brands) is not non-slip.

Grant said...

Hmmmm ... there is also "tool dip", the stuff you can get to mark/insulate tool handles. You might have to use a toothpick or some such to keep the jaws separated while it set up.
http://www.plastidip.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Dip-11601-14-5-Red-Plasti/dp/B0006SL0VO

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, the Plasti-Dip looks promising.

Maybe I'll even coat the back of the Kindle with it.