Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who watches the Watchmen?


I did.

I thought it was a good film. With any translation between media where the original has a very passionate fanbase, there will be substantial grumbling no matter what you do. And of course that has happened. But given the fact that the prime charm of the comic book was its formalistic characteristics, the way it was told rather than the story itself or the characters, and that this aspect obviously can't be translated to film, I think they did a fantastic job. I can't think how anybody could do a better job. They even improved the ending, in my opinion.

It won't be my favorite film, but then it was never my favorite comic book either. But it looks great and is very watchable.

(In a move which is so typical it makes my stomach turn, the UK blu-ray release has three discs, but it does not include the director cut extended version or the animated "pirate comic". What's wrong with these people?)

6 comments:

Timo Lehtinen said...

Your title phrase reminded me of one of my favourite TV series:
Who pays the ferryman?
Highly recommended.

I wonder where else this “Who *s the *man?” phrase format has been used.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Not only was it used prominently in the comic, it's a *very* old phrase to question who keep the ethics-keepers themselves ethical?

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the comic, but I thought it was an excellent film anyway! Long films are really hit-or-miss in my book. "The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford", for instance, was a hit, so was Watchmen, but Saving Private Ryan just sucked total ass..it's a gamble, I guess!

Sitting still for 3hrs is only worth it if the film is good. And any schmuck who approves of frigging breaks during a film deserves to be shot.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, I'm wondering if the film does not have a better chance amongst those who have not read the comic.

I once saw a three-hour movie about a painter and his model. I made it through it because she was really statuesque and posed nude much of the time. (I don't know the French title, but it was translated into something like "The Total Bitch" in Danish.

Anonymous said...

Saving Private Ryan was good, just not as good as a lot of people thought. A typical U.S.-made WWII movie. (We always make it seem like no one else did anything, forgetting that we didn't even join the party till '42.)

I liked Watchmen. I especially liked Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. In my opinion Ozymandias was seemed a bit of a pansy. But I guess that was kind of the point.

And, yes, the ending was better.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I think the casting was excellent. Especially Nite Owl, he was like the drawings come to life.