Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Firefox Image Zoom

For years I've had an option for members of Domai of very large images, which don't fit on the screen. And because of the navigation buttons, the images are embedded, and so won't zoom in browsers. It irritates even myself, but the only thing I could tell members was:
"If you have problems fitting the whole image on your screen, try: 1) removing button bars from your browser. 2) setting a higher screen resolution. 3) getting a bigger screen. 4) saving the images to disk and viewing them from there."

But now a helpful guy named Philip has given me a tip, so now I can say also:
"5) Use the Firefox browser with the Image Zoom add-on. It is very useful: right- and left-click on a picture, and it fits the window. Hold the right button and scroll the mouse wheel and it zooms to any size."

Here's a good page to test it (has nudity).

7 comments:

Alex said...

And the old fashioned way in Firefox

Right click image,
select "View image" from pop up menu.

There is then a magnifier which, when clicked on the image, goes between full screen and full size (unless it fits in the screen anyway).

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Corrected warning: has NOTHING BUT nudity! I'm not very surprised either, coming from you.

(Oops! Maybe I should've let Josie make that comment. ;-)

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

P.S.: and "your blog" just asked me to type "tytiess"!
Do I detect the hint of a theme there?

Tommy said...

Pascal said: "Corrected warning: has NOTHING BUT nudity!"
Say it is't soo...

EO, I don't look at the DOMAI pictures in a browser. I have always downloaded them and viewed them locally. Then I can really zoom in if I want (grin)..

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You're not alone. That's the reason one bloke gave me for wanting even bigger images on the site.
I saw one of my competitors advertising that they now load up *thirty-nine* megapixel images!
What, they haven't heard of the new 60-megapixel cameras? For shame.

Ray said...

For anyone using Windows Vista or Windows 7, there's also 'ZoomIt' from Microsoft's Sysinternals.

It's meant for use in presentations, but it works fine for enlarging photos too.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

So, you too got caught in the "mine is bigger than yours" game? ;-)
Then again, they shouldn't have bragged... "For shame", indeed!

How about a peeing contest then, maties? Aye, see y'all guys at the local bar for a few pints of Guinness!
Or a few dozen.