Monday, August 10, 2009

Body painting, S.I.

Before, I've posted Jessica White's body-painting adventure with Sports Illustrated.
Here is more of the same:
Julie Henderson
mixed

I think it's interesting how Sports Illustrated has done this. Before, the swimsuit issue was thinly justified by "well, it's about the suits, of course, swimwear". But now even the suits are gone. It's just gorgeous women. Good for them.

I'm reminded of a Doonesbury strip some years ago where stacked movie starlet Barbara Ann "Boopsie" Boopstein appear in an S.I. shoot. The photographer tells her how to pose and asks her to think about the thing they are selling. Boopsie strikes a sexy pose with bum and bosom each sticking way out, and her miniscule bikini almost falling off, and conscientiously thinks "sports wear!". (Sadly I can't find the strip online.)

Funny enough, I have never seen a single copy of Sports Illustrated, swim suit or not, so I have no idea what they normally write about. I guess, some aspects of sports, which does not interest me. I only know about that magazine because the swim suit issue is so famous. I guess that tells us something.

This page has a humorous look at S.I.'s S.I. It has this quote from a strip I think was the day before the one I mentioned:
In 1989, Doonesbury's Boopsie, who's had her shower-scene moments in a variety of B films, posed for SI. On location, she's talking to the issue's editor:

Editor: Let's have you try on the swimsuit now, okay?

Boopsie: Okay. Where is it?

Editor: Uh ... I just gave it to you.

Boopsie: This? Oh, sorry. I thought it was dental floss.
-
They also tell this story:
A letter to SI, after the 1967 swimsuit issue arrived in Sister Mary Ephrem Loretto's mailbox: "My copy was burned immediately, and the subscription will cease. Perhaps you do not know it, but nudity is more destructive to our youth than an atom bomb."
-

11 comments:

Pat McGee said...

Eolake, typo in topic.

Pat

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you.
For some reason, the font Firefox uses for the subject is smaller than the one in the post itself. Hard to see on my large screen.

Nemo said...

A couple books to give you a sampling of the swimsuit issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Illustrated-Swimsuit-Complete-Portfolio/dp/160320041X/

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Illustrated-Paint-Editors/dp/1933821205/

Alex said...

This year is not the first body paint included in the swimsuit edition. I don't know if they do it every year, but I remember one from ages ago, probably 10 years back (just checked, 99 did have body paint). I thought they'd been doing it annually.

Wasn't it horlicks or Nestle did a body painted advert in Britain back in 1993/1994?

Alex said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFYdEMZ3E8

They claim 2008 was the 10th year of the body paint shoot.

TC [Girl] said...

I still like Jessica's best! It would be a VERY COOL thing to be able to have places where one could go and get a suit painted on...much like getting a tattoo done; but...I'm sure that it would cost a FORTUNE!! :-(

I guess the girls who have talented artist friends might be in luck! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Doubtlessly Jessica's was way superior, a real Klimtesque work of art.

Anonymous said...

I once triggered a minor flame war with this blog post about the swimwear edition.

Anonymous said...

I once triggered a minor flame war with this blog post about the swimwear edition.

Wow. That ibis chick has some serious problems! I mean really serious. What a nut.

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

craniac,

After reading your flames made me feel better about my little ones:

http://eolake.blogspot.com/2009/07/bron-janulis-art.html#links

My wife is the biggest fan of that "weird" table; and a present she gave me once was a signed copy of "The Chicago Exhibition", Amazon books, as she said about two things I liked a lot,women and Chicago.

Eolake, breathing is good.

TC [Girl] said...

Just ran into this cool Sports Illustrated 2009 vid. Thought you might enjoy. Hang in there til the very end. :-)