Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tropic Thunder (updated)

Tropic Thunder: good movie, funny movie. Unusual movie.
The big surprise was Tom Cruise as an ugly, unappealing, unethical, balding movie executive. So much make-up it took minutes to recognize him. Like they said in the commentary, "it's hard to make that m***erf***er look ugly", but they managed it.
You can think what you will of his personal beliefs (and god knows, everybody thinks something about them), but he's still got the big nuts as a actor. Here he could be doing MI:4, and he goes and does this bit part playing a disgusting human being. And not only that, it's possibly the funniest part in the movie. It's hysterical. Kudos.

Update: Don't miss the extras, including the hysterically funny mockumentary "Rain of Madness".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like they said in the commentary, "it's hard to make that m***erf***er look ugly", but they managed it.

I've never understood this, as to me while Tom Cruise isn't ugly he's not in the same league as say Brad Pitt or someone like Orlando Bloom. That nose, for one thing. Plus he's a leading man at 5'7"? WEll, as a straight dude I thought it was still possible to tell whether a guy was handsome or ugly, but I guess we can't necessarily tell what will appeal to the ladies.

Cristina Rodguez said...

To this lady, sometimes the most "obvious" guys have the least appeal. And while I'm not particularly fond of Tom Cruise, the guy's got a certain something: that smile, the look of determination in those eyes... probably his nose helps too. Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, I'm quite partial to that kind of guy. Mr. Clooney... we're talking business.

Now, Brad Pitt? Or Leo DiCaprio? That is one thing I could never understand. Can't figure out what's so special about those guys...

I'll try to see the movie.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Johnny Depp is special. After watching Don Juan De Marco, I decided that if one man could ever tempt me to experiment...

And he is also one of those rare actors who has both the guts and the power to do anything.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"...I decided that if one man could ever tempt me to experiment..."

Oh, dear, Eo... lol!

Magnetic Mary: I think what does it for me, w/Leo and Brad, are the handsome faces and eyes but...their acting is pretty durn good, too!

Even sexier? Watch a Charlie Rose interview w/either of these men and...you'll find that their minds are even SEXY! :-P

P.S. - In my book, Tom Cruise (hm...another TC, I just realized!) is so NOT sexy!! I think he's a PRICK...even if he did "[have Renee Zellweger] @ Hello"! BFD!! lol!

P.S.S. - See Brad's 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. It's DAMN GOOD!!

And...IMHO, Brad and Leo are 2 of most handsome dudes that I have ever seen! I wish more looked like them! :-)