Monday, July 20, 2009

Camera sizes

The Pentax on the right is the most compact they managed to make a 35mm SLR camera. (Virtually the same size as the Olympus OM-1.)
The Panasonic Lumix G1 is almost the smallest exchangeable-lens digital camera we have yet (beaten by the Pen). It has eliminated the space for the mirror and the pentaprism, the imaging area is only 25% the size of the Pentax's, and yet it it's still slightly bigger than the ME-Super!
Miniaturization of electronics has been amazing, but I don't think we are done yet.



Of course I'm leaving aside here the consideration that feature-wise the G1 has my beloved ME-Super beaten in so many ways it'd be a chore to count them, and that even with the smaller imaging area the picture quality is still better, but I still think it's an interesting comparison.

By the way, this is about the size I think it's fun to use a camera. Much bigger/heavier, and it starts to feel like work. At this size, just playing and photographing with them is a joy in itself, and that's even before we get any good pictures out of it.

Dave Etchells (of Imaging-Resource fame) sez:

Actually, when I was briefed on the original G1 by Panasonic Japan, prior to its release, they said that they actually could have made it a good bit smaller, but they were concerned that people would find it *too* small if they did. As it is, I think they did an excellent job with the grip design on it, as it fits my hand comfortably, while some other larger cameras (notably the old Canon Rebel XT) do not. That said, if it was much smaller, I suspect I'd have felt differently; would have been irritated by the too-small size. Of course, this is very much a personal preference thing, so there are likely to be people who'd be entirely happy having something even smaller.

Yes, I admit I am ambivalent. And the G1 is a very good size for working with, as opposed to carrying about in your breast pocket like a tourist. It might be about perfect as a compact serious camera. It does feel good in your hand.

I also love breast-pocket sized cameras. But I admit they do necessitate a lot of compromised in terms of security of your grip, how many buttons they can have, etc.

Basically I want the blonde and the redhead and the black girl... but while early middle age have beefed up my bank account to afford them all, it has also weakened my strength for handling them all at once. :-)

7 comments:

Dave Etchells said...

Actually, when I was briefed on the original G1 by Panasonic Japan, prior to its release, they said that they actually could have made it a good bit smaller, but they were concerned that people would find it *too* small if they did. As it is, I think they did an excellent job with the grip design on it, as it fits my hand comfortably, while some other larger cameras (notably the old Canon Rebel XT) do not. That said, if it was much smaller, I suspect I'd have felt differently; would have been irritated by the too-small size. Of course, this is very much a personal preference thing, so there are likely to be people who'd be entirely happy having something even smaller.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

(Dave, see answer in update to the post.)

Patrick said...

Oh you lucky guy. It is small, don't know if I'd want it too much smaller without going for a whole different form factor, i.e. the e-P1. But what about the pics? ISO? live view shooting?

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Nice, and the ME Super was probably larger than my HV-1, with the 50mm f2.

We need a user report on the G1, as camera lust arises in my 13 yr. old soul.

Bron

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Actually, minimal camera lust, as I recently divested myself of two complete, full bore Nikon systems, and am quite happy with a Canon G9 as my big camera, and much abused SD800 as my breast camera, or shorts pocket camera. iPhone for everywhere camera.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Patrick,
Live view shooting is the best in the business.

For the rest, I refer to imaging-resource. I've barely gone beyond sleeping with it next to my pillow.

Stephen Gillette said...

I have a veteran 35mm Pentax ME Super on a desk behind me, gathering dust. Somewhere on the premises is another ME (not a super); my sister and dad both have ME's in hard-to-reach corners of clothes closets.

It was/is a great concept, great size, great 50mm f/1.7 standard lens. Never heard a "too small" complaint back-in-the-day.

The Panasonic G1 does look a bit like a "Hummerized" version of the ME. I won't be headed back to film, except for occasional fun excursions (one more shot on my Holga before it's time to process the film!), but today's camera manufacturers would do well to take a break and spend some time looking at the reasons the Pentax ME (as well as the Olympus OM Series) were so popular and remain so beloved.

Of course, maybe with the new Olympus digital Pen, they have already begun to do that...