Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Science fiction, Canon A1000


I guess people born after 1980 take Moore's law as a given. That everything electronic gets both a lot better and a lot cheaper year after year is just a fact like there's food in the fridge and the sun rises. But I keep getting amazed.

Recently I bought a friend a Canon A1000 for an anniversary. He was very happy, and still is. He is now busy snapping all those sights he'd seen before and wished he'd had a camera.

He is really pleased with the camera, and you can't say anything to that: a few years ago, a ten-megapixel zoom-camera with image stabilization would have been pure science fiction at any price and size. Now you can buy one in pocket size for $200! It's insane.

Hell, most of the greatest photographs in history were taken with cameras with less image quality and almost none of the capabilities of this little thing. I mean, if I was not a camera fetishist and have more money than sense, this camera would be all I ever needed myself.

2 comments:

Accatone said...

This is the very same camera that I've finally decided to buy for my wife! We haven't had any experience with a digital camera before, so naturally I searched the net, read lots of reviews, compared prices, and eventually chose this Canon A1000. It's ranked 9 at Test Freaks:

http://www.testfreaks.com/digitalcameras/?sort=score

I guess it's a good entry-level compact digital camera, isn't it? I'll definitely buy one. I'd really appreciate if you have any compact cameras in your mind that you can recommend us! Thank you for the post, Mr. Stobblehouse.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The advice I give currently is: Get a Canon, any Canon, just make sure it has image stabilization.

In compact cameras, Nikon is stumbling these last couple of years, but Canon is on a roll.